Live disk migration limit speed

check-ict

Apr 19, 2011
Hi,

We have a 6-node cluster, each connected with 2x1Gbit trunk to a 4x1Gbit trunk ZFS NFS server loaded with SSD's.

The disk IO on the ZFS server is really high, it has 12 SSD's in RAIDz2 (RAID6).

We have another ZFS SSD server, also connected with 4x1Gbit.

Now we want to migrate some disks to this new storage server with live migration. When we start the migration, all VM's on the node that initiates the move get really slow. Login on RDP takes about 5 minutes on any VM, while this normally takes several seconds. Webservers crash or respond really slow.

So when we move 1 disk of 1 VM, all VM's on that node become unusable.

How can we limit the disk move, so it will only use like 80% of the 1000Mbit link? The SSD's are almost idle when the disk moves, it's the network link.

The costs to replace all 1Gbit to 10Gbit, including a redundant managed switch, is really high. So that's not a option.

you can set a 'migrate_speed' option in the vm config
see
Code:
man qm.conf

Hi,

I tried migrate_speed: 2 (MBps) however it keeps taking 100-120 MBps so my network card is stull 1000Mbit in use during the move.

pve-manager/4.4-5/c43015a5 (running kernel: 4.4.35-2-pve)
Debian 8

As I said above, either limit the process or copy the disk directly from one storage server to the other.

When I start the move, it only shows the following process:
task UPID:proxmox05:00002F0C:40FF4B4C:5A018D66:qmmove:159:root@pam:

How can I limit this process? I don't see any qemu-nbd or port being used.

Else I will copy it from ZFS to ZFS server, however it will require the VM to be shut down for some hours. It's about 2 TB that needs to be moved.

The usual, grep & ps, as there will be also the vmid in the disk name.

Yes I used ps aux, nothing there.

So moving offline this weekend, no other option it seems.

Last edited:
So moving offline this weekend, no other option it seems

But you can have this: pve-zsync
You can replicate the virtual hdd to the designated node using zfs send/recive.
And pve-zsync can be used with bandwidth limit speed(as you want). After the pve-zsync is finish then on the destination node you cam move the VM config file from source node to the destination node.

This is all that you need to do.

The costs to replace all 1Gbit to 10Gbit, including a redundant managed switch, is really high. So that's not a option.

If you look at the proper device....;) You can get a layer7 switch with 16 sfp+ ports at 400 $/unit. Maybe is not so high price for you ;) But is very expensive for me ... maybe you are more lucky ;)

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but for those landing here from a search engine: in modern versions of Proxmox you can go to Datacenter > Options > Bandwidth Limits > Migrations to set a max transfer speed for migrations.
Thanks, this is a great improvement!

But using the settings in datacenter, it is impossible to limit the speed during "live migration". I just tested this and it only worked when I set "migrate_speed" directly in the vm configuration.

pve-manager/7.3-3/c3928077 (running kernel: 5.15.74-1-pve)

Hi,
But using the settings in datacenter, it is impossible to limit the speed during "live migration". I just tested this and it only worked when I set "migrate_speed" directly in the vm configuration.

pve-manager/7.3-3/c3928077 (running kernel: 5.15.74-1-pve)
thank you for reporting the issue! This is a bug, the limit from datacenter.cfg will currently only apply for disk migrations, but not when the VM state/RAM is migrated. I can reproduce it here and am working on a fix.

EDIT: Initial patch has been sent for discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: fitful

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!