List, order, and timing of VM bootup schedule

Pontiac

Feb 24, 2015
I've just started with Proxmox literally yesterday (Feb 25, 2015) with a build on an i7-970 with 12gig of memory. This is kind of a `production` machine for home only use. There is VM to act as my firewall, another to family calendar, personal landing home page, PBX, etc. I was running VirtualBox on a Win64 base for a few years on an I5 with maxed out 8gig of memory, but things eventually got too tight. At least now I can throw another 12gig into the machine if needed. :] Other than a failed XP install due to hardware change (Virtual or not, XP was a pisser for that kind of thing) and a Win2K install with no working network (Which I'm going to attempt to rectify after this post) the change over from VBox to ProxMox was relatively smooth.

Anyways, when I was running VB on Win64, I had written a windows application to pretty much do what the Proxmox web UI does. The only advantage my application has over Proxmox (And it is a very sorely missed function) is it reports when an OS is to load when auto-started. From bootup, it'd tell me that a VM would start 'this' many minutes after startup, and the next start 'that' many minutes after the previous OS was to start, etc. I see that Proxmox allows for staggered starts, but, I've no real way that I've found of showing in what order and at what time past bootup the VMs will start. My application also gave me a report of all startup machines, when they're to start, and give a count down of when each OS is planned to start.

Albeit, I don't really need the countdown, I REALLY would like to figure a way I can see a list of machines that are set to auto-start, and when they're going to start either in minutes after bootup, or minutes after the previous OS. That way I can more easily get the important machines up (Firewall, then DHCP machine, then PBX, etc) and give plenty of time to let them settle out before I start up the other machines. As it stands now, I kind of have to pen-and-paper the order I want and then figure out the timings, then manually adjust each one and hope I'm accurate. With the pseudo-live view of what machines start when, it'd make my task a bunch easier, especially if I deem that one machine needs to be put further ahead of the other. Also, if I can figure out what is wrong with an I7-960 I have (It was running all my VMs for about a month before it became too unstable) I'm going to look into the clustering of the two machines and push my VMs around. Just for fun.

Also, it would be nice to have the ability to sort the list of machines based on different criteria, such as VM name or ID or if the VM is to boot on startup, etc.

Other than that, I like the web front end to manage, and I LOVE the NoVNC app.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!