LinuxBridge with DHCP and defined address range

fpdragon

Feb 24, 2022
Hello,

I have configured a kind of network backbone for my 4 node cluster to enable a faster networking between all VMs.

I was able to set this up via static ip addresses but this needs to be carefully configured to prevent ip conflicts.

Here is what I have as an example for one node:
1712298255916.png
The other nodes have the same config with 10.175.175.1 - ...

What I want to have now is a DHCP server that automatically gives addresses for example from
10.175.176.x

I guess this needs to be configured on one node only and the VMs from the oder nodes will receive their IP from the first node.

I found this for /etc/network/interfaces:
Code:
iface vmbr1 inet dhcp
        bridge-ports eno5
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

But I still want to define the IPs of the physical NICs and the DHCP VM IPs shall be in a defined range.

Hope you can help.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I found this for /etc/network/interfaces:
This configuration will make it so that the server will request an IP address from a DHCP server.

You still need a DHCP server in that network!

Ideally, use a VM for it, then you can define it as HA, so if the node it is on dies, it will be recovered quickly to another node. Keep all the important infrastructure to keep the DHCP server running, on a static IP configuration. Otherwise you end up with circular dependencies :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!