[SOLVED] Linux Vlan interface not working

kylvan

May 25, 2024
Hello,

I am near the end of configuring my home network with Promox and OPNSense.
The last thing I need to do is to change the management IP of Promox from the vmbr0 interfact (which is on the WAN side of my setup) to a sub interface tagged with VLAN 66.

I tried few configurations but nothing seems to work so far. When I check the "ip address" CLI output, I can see that no IP address has been attached to the sub interface.

The last configuration that I tried is the following, which is part of the official Proxmox doc : https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Configuration

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp1s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
        bridge-ports enp1s0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
        bridge-vlan-aware yes
        bridge-vids 2-126

auto vmbr0.66
iface vmbr0.66 inet static
         address 192.168.21.250/24
         gateway 192.168.21.1

iface wlp2s0 inet manual

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

I am using SDN with VLAN integration, I don't know if it could be an issue. Since SDN is creating VLANs, we can already find some configuration file for vmbr0.66
Code:
ls /proc/net/vlan/
config  vmbr0.66

I don't know if it coud cause a conflict within the conf.

Thanks.

I found the same issues trying to move my management to a vmbr0.74 Linux VLAN.

I do believe it is related to having the same vlan tagging of 74 on the Linux VLAN interface as well as on the SDN,

It appears that you have to choose one or the other or things tend to collide and not apply correctly.

My Solutions was to simply choose to use the vmbr0.74 Linux VLAN, so I could set the ip address on the management vlan and then if I need to add a VM or Container to the same vlan 74, I just manually type it in and leave it out of the SDN.

Code:
auto vmbr0.66
iface vmbr0.66 inet static
address 192.168.21.250/24
gateway 192.168.21.1
Are you sure the syntax is right? Without a bridge-port? One of my current stanzas to get a untagged bridge in VLAN 11 with a local address on the node looks like this (verbatim copy):
Code:
auto vmbr11
iface vmbr11 inet static
        address 10.11.16.7/16
        bridge-ports enp2s0.11
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

Note that there may be more than one possible and working solution.

Last edited:
I found the same issues trying to move my management to a vmbr0.74 Linux VLAN.

I do believe it is related to having the same vlan tagging of 74 on the Linux VLAN interface as well as on the SDN,

It appears that you have to choose one or the other or things tend to collide and not apply correctly.

My Solutions was to simply choose to use the vmbr0.74 Linux VLAN, so I could set the ip address on the management vlan and then if I need to add a VM or Container to the same vlan 74, I just manually type it in and leave it out of the SDN.
Thanks, I will very the SDN conflict thing by creating a dedicated Vlan for Proxmox management.

Are you sure the syntax is right? Without a bridge-port? One of my current stanzas to get a untagged bridge in VLAN 11 with a local address on the node looks like this (verbatim copy):
Code:
auto vmbr11
iface vmbr11 inet static
        address 10.11.16.7/16
        bridge-ports enp2s0.11
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

Note that there may be more than one possible and working solution.
I don’t know about the config, all I can say is that it is what the documentation states and some tutorial that I found on Youtube.
But for all the docs/sources that I found, there was no SDN implementation.

Here's how I have my servers configured. I think you need to change iface vmbr0 inet manual to iface vmbr0 inet static

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
bridge-ports eno1
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
bridge-vlan-aware yes
bridge-vids 2-4092

auto vmbr0.100
iface vmbr0.100 inet static
address 192.168.100.3/24
gateway 192.168.100.1

Here's how I have my servers configured. I think you need to change iface vmbr0 inet manual to iface vmbr0 inet static

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
bridge-ports eno1
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
bridge-vlan-aware yes
bridge-vids 2-4092

auto vmbr0.100
iface vmbr0.100 inet static
address 192.168.100.3/24
gateway 192.168.100.1
Thanks for the feedback.
Are you using SDN or not ?

Finally have the whole thing working, but it is a bit tedious.

I don't know if it is the root cause or not, but having SDN define on VLAN 66 and trying also to configure an Interface on this same VLAN was not was not working.

So, I tried to configure an Interface VLAN on another one (69 on my setup) and it works like a charm. You have to remove the IP configuration from vmbr0 and do it on the sub-interface.

Code:
auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        bridge-ports enp1s0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
        bridge-vlan-aware yes
        bridge-vids 2-126

iface wlp2s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0.69
iface vmbr0.69 inet static
        address 192.168.69.2/24
        gateway 192.168.69.1

Everything is working perfeclty, Management WEB UI is now isolated and no longer on the WAN side of my Network.
Since all my Inter-VLAN flows are managed by an OPNSense VM hosted on Proxmox (I had to create a VLAN linked to my physical interface anyway) and that I have only 1 Proxmox host, I don't have to create the VLAN on my Switch, everything seems to be managed internaly by the Proxmox host, which is fine.

Hope it helps.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!