Linux Kernel 5.19.17-1-pve Nvidia vgpu-kvm windows guest VM crash nvlddmkm.sys failed

doxyproxy

Dec 12, 2022
Windows 11 VM crashes/BSOD bluescreen on bootup with:
system service exception nvlddmkm.sys

It only happens when I enable HOST cpu on the VM. If I keep CPU as "kvm64" it works.
I need CPU to be same as "HOST" ie for nested virtualization so that Windows subsystem for linux WSL2 will work but seems I can't do that and enable vgpu nvidia gpu in VM.

for reference: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/kernel-5-11-nvidia-linux-vgpu-kvm.94266/post-517993

Has anyone actually gotten BOTH to work at the same time? ie "nested virtualization" in the Windows VM by using cpu "HOST" setting, and also load the Nvidia GPU and driver via nvidia GRID vgpu-kvm driver etc? Hopefully someone can confirm if they actually got both working at the same time or if get the same crash I get when trying to set cpu to HOST in proxmox while using vgpu-kvm. thanks

I spent multiple days trying to get the host option with CPU working to no avail. The cpu just goes into 100% utilization and freezes the unit.

However, using the qemu cpu did not prevent WSL from working. So you should be fine. If there is an issue installing, then install without gpu and it should work after you reconnect gpu.

If you absolutely have to nest the virtualization, you may need to have a Linux kvm host and put nested Windows inside. Performance will be dismal though.

Really? You can use WSL2 without nested virtualization, ie without -cpu Host? I installed Ubuntu with -cpu Host and GPU disabled, but when I go back to kvm64 cpu etc instead of -cpu Host, then WSL no longer works and complains not supported etc.

Also what do you mean about Linux kvm host and nested windows inside, I mean proxmox is the Linux kvm host already and the VM is windows, so not sure I understood what you mean. thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!