Linux 6.9 Features: DM VDO, AMD Preferred Core, Intel FRED & Larger Console Fonts

werter

Dec 10, 2017
Hi there :)
https://www.phoronix.com/review/linux-69-features
Among the key highlights for Linux 6.9 are the Device Mapper Virtual Data Optimizer (DM VDO) finally making it upstream

Question to Proxmox team:
Will dm-vdo support appear on PVE?

P.s. Yes, I know about zfs and zfs features like dedup, compression etc.

Last edited:
I can only say, it would be insanely amazing, to get 6.9.
I myself would take advantage of the preferred core support with amd-pstate driver. That amd-pstate driver driven my genoa-Servers with performance+performance down to 140W Consumption for 90% of the time and 700W during load scenarios.
And i don't care at all about power consumption, its just a nice side effect, both servers got faster too, driven pveperf fsync from 11k to almost 13k.
With preferred Core support, i see more speed benefits.

There are a lot of other nice things in the 6.9 Kernel that most people with newer hardware would benefit from.

But:
1. As long as OpenZFS doesn't support 6.9, we don't need to have any hopes.
2. Proxmox just released 6.8 and the 6.8 Kernel is LTS, so we are Stuck for at least a Year probably with 6.8 here.

https://github.com/Ramalama2/proxmox-edge-kernel
None the less, i seen that comming and started to make kernels for myself. That repo misses a lot of updates, but i internally already compiled the 6.8 Kernel with ZFS, optimized for my genoa Servers (Stripped most modules out of the kernel).
However, im not able to compile a 6.9 Kernel, because of ZFS. There are too much compilations errors that needs to be fixed to adopt zfs 2.2.4 for 6.9, that is above my knowledge.

Thats the reason i didn't updated my repo, because i see no reason people would use that for 6.8+zfs 2.2.4, which is available on Proxmox already either.
But as soon as ZFS 2.2.5 or 2.2.6 (with 6.9) Kernel will get released and im able to compile 6.9+zfs, i will update that repo.

If anyone wants to help, you're welcome btw.
Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: werter
2. Proxmox just released 6.8 and the 6.8 Kernel is LTS, so we are Stuck for at least a Year probably with 6.8 here.

I highly assume, that they continue to make opt-in kernel(s) available in the future...

Reactions: Ramalama

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!