[SOLVED] [Link Aggregation] Switch only supports Static Link Aggregation: Best Use for 2x2.5GbE RJ-45 Ports on Node?

Sep 1, 2022
Hello,

The switch my Proxmox node is hooked into only supports "static LAG," with no LACP/dynamic options. My Proxmox node has 2x2.5GbE ethernet ports.

I didn't realize the switch had this limitation until after I bought it; otherwise it's a great multigig switch that does everything else I need. I have no plans/budget to replace it right now, or in the near future.

Questions:
  1. What options do I have with "static LAG?" That is, what can it actually do? On my other switch with LACP/dynamic LAG, I bonded a couple of 2.5GbE ports on a NAS to get 5GbE of total bandwidth (with 2x2.5Gb full duplex lanes). I'm guessing I can't necessarily do the exact same thing on a switch that's static-only.
  2. The closest static option to LACP appears to be "ALB" load balancing. Is this supported under Proxmox? I know i can make the underlying Debian install do it, but from the Wiki it looks like Proxmox might only work with "active backup" bonding. I'm still unclear on this.
  3. Depending on the answer to Question 1 and 2, would I be better off without Link Aggregation?If so, what's the best way to make use of the second NIC?
    1. I suppose the easiest answer would be to use it as a second gateway (?) for higher traffic/higher priority VMs (e.g. to dedicate to VMs and containers I use via remote desktop and remoting into VPN).
    2. But, I've never done this before, so I'm curious what y'all would suggest.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: ucholak

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!