Limitations of network bridge?

Tom Moyer

Jun 1, 2019
I have a situation where I appear to be running out of resources but I cannot identify where or why. I have a bridged interface and need to create a large number of containers. The IP addresses on those containers is set statically, and after roughly 500 containers, even when I set the IP address statically in the web UI, the container won't show an IP address. Is there some limit to the number of containers that can share a single bridge? From what I was reading about Linux bridges, that limit was something closer to 1000, but this does not appear to be the case for my server.

Edit to add the following detail: The subnet that this machine is connected to is a /22, so we are not running out of IP addresses on the subnet.

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone will answer, google says 1024, so you are good.
But you could test it with an additional bridge?

Other as that, probably the ip is taken already?
Maybe that's dumb, but I can't help any further xD

While I agree that the linux bridge supports 1024 ports, I think that each container consumes two ports, not one.

I added additional bridges, with separate network interfaces and some containers are able to use the network and others are not

What if it isn't proxmox? Something like the switch or whatever has a problem, like a full macaddr table or whatever xD

I checked that with the network engineers who handle upstream for this system and the MAC tables support at least 32K MACs so that isn’t the issue

Well, there is a mac address table in proxmox too.
bridge fdb (please google)

But however, that's just ideas, i don't think you will figure it out. I meant with the above comment primarily, that it could be an external issue either. I mean there aren't only switches, there is your gw/firewall too. A firewall for example can run full of states if purging mechanisms are buggy. But that's all just ideas xD

The only other way is to try out openvswitch probably.
Since this is basically the same as linux bridge today, but uses other codebase...

And im sorry to say, but in this days, everything is buggy, you can only decide, with which you want to live xD

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!