Limit node usage through storage availabilty

troycarpenter

Renowned Member
Feb 28, 2012
Central Texas
I have three ceph nodes in my Proxmox Cluster that I do NOT want users creating VMs on or the system automatically moving VMs to. At first I thought I could do that through the permissions system, but after reading some posts it looks like removing storage should do it. I'm just posting this to confirm.

On the storage configuration for the Proxmox cluster, I've changed the node restrictions for the ceph storage so that my three ceph nodes are removed. I've also removed the same ceph nodes from the cephfs access. Finally, I disabled local storage for all nodes.

In the GUI, the three ceph nodes don't show any storage available. I expect that will prevent any VMs from being created on or migrated to these nodes. BUT, I want to be sure there's no other side effects, especially with the availability of the ceph storage on the compute nodes.

I guess, you may have found the answer already. For what its worth - yes, but HA needs to be taken care of manually, otherwise the VM will relocate but not be able to start.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!