Light theme as default on PVE 8

Elias137

Jan 19, 2022
Hi,

I'm having a bad luck on setting the light theme on Proxmox VE 8 as default. None of what I've found so far works for me. Why is even setting the dark theme as default? I would be very thankful for a working advice on how to achieve it. Thanks in advance!

Hi,
the Proxmox VE WebUI uses the preferred theme settings from your browser, so if you set it to dark there, that's what will be used by default. However, independently of that you can select a default color scheme for your account by clicking on the user setting in the top right corner after login, there you will find the Color Theme selector.

Edit: Note that this is stored as a cookie, so if you delete the cookies, the settings will not persist.

Last edited:
Hi,
the Proxmox VE WebUI uses the preferred theme settings from your browser, so if you set it to dark there, that's what will be used by default. However, independently of that you can select a default color scheme for your account by clicking on the user setting in the top right corner after login, there you will find the Color Theme selector.

Edit: Note that this is stored as a cookie, so if you delete the cookies, the settings will not persist.
Is there any way to set the light theme to be default for always, like to edit the config files etc?

Is there any way to set the light theme to be default for always, like to edit the config files etc?
Well, just set your browser settings to use a light color scheme by default and use the Default (auto) mode in the Color Scheme setting (or clear the cookie). Then you should always be displayed the crisp theme

Last edited:
Well, just set your browser settings to use a light color scheme by default and use the Default (auto) mode in the Color Scheme setting (or clear the cookie). Then you should always be displayed the crisp theme
Gotcha. Well, that's pity. Is there any plans on future releases of PVE to make it available to set the default color theme to be persistent? Like, I'm using Ubuntu with dark color theme, and my Chrome browser is set to be dark too, that's true. But I would like to browse sites the way they were initially created. I wouldn't like Google or Microsoft were displaying in dark mode just because my OS theme set to dark, see?

Gotcha. Well, that's pity. Is there any plans on future releases of PVE to make it available to set the default color theme to be persistent? Like, I'm using Ubuntu with dark color theme, and my Chrome browser is set to be dark too, that's true. But I would like to browse sites the way they were initially created. I wouldn't like Google or Microsoft were displaying in dark mode just because my OS theme set to dark, see?
Why do you set your browser default to dark theme if you don't what that? Just set it to be light instead. And regarding the Proxmox VE WebUI, you already can set your color theme to be persistent, just adjust the settings as described above .

I wouldn't like Google or Microsoft were displaying in dark mode just because my OS theme set to dark, see?

Just chiming in - Google actually does that! Depending on your browser settings Google switches into dark mode.

Reactions: fluxX04

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!