Library missin

ozgurerdogan

Renowned Member
May 2, 2010
Bursa, Turkey, Turkey
I need to update RSAII firmware but getting:
./lflash: error while loading shared libraries: libz.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

Do you have any idea?

IBM servers with RSA(II) adapters are not that new anymore since the x3xxx M2 series have switched to IMM/IMM2 and UEFI. It's likely a an x3550/x3650 as we have and start to phase out. RSAII have been notable for vanishing/crashing and requiring complete power off (even removing complete) power to re-initialize. ;-)

Most IBM firmware update binary executable often depend on old libraries to be run (as found in RHEL/SUSE Enterprise), even if you can make it run, flashing the firmware on a non-RHEL/non-Suse may work but there are easier ways that don't make you install extra libraries on the Proxmox host:

Consider creating a bootable update media using IBM's bootable media creator (BOMC) that you can run on your workstation - point it to "latest individual" updates and make sure the binary lists your model as compatible. BOMC runs on Windows and some Linuxes. They offer BOMC older binaries which they recommend for older servers. It creates an ISO or USB key that allows you to boot up in a Linux environment that will scan your server firmware and make sure it updates firmware in correct order of dependency (yup, I've seen such notes where UEFI and IMM depend on certain version levels!).

If you have remote access to the RSAII adapter card you can also flash it over its web interface. That may come in handy if you have to flash the RSAII adapter with a firmware for another Server as I remember there was a knob to force that. (i.e. moving an RSAII slimline from an x3750 to x3650 needed it to flash another firmware!)

If you have remote access to the RSAII adapter card you can also flash it over its web interface. That may come in handy if you have to flash the RSAII adapter with a firmware for another Server as I remember there was a knob to force that. (i.e. moving an RSAII slimline from an x3750 to x3650 needed it to flash another firmware!)

All was started with web interface of RSA does not respond. I already updated bios and bmc. But as web ui does not respond I can not use it to update firmware. I also tried updating via proxmox but sadly learnt that IBM does not support debian at all, only RHED and SUSE. And I wanted to try IBM's bootable media creator which did not list my model KTG7979 and I manually added it to list (not sure if it was a right action) and created bootable media but server hanged with a "GRUP" saying on screen. So I wanted to make sure if I could do it with proxmox but I think I will have no success.

Maybe updating firmware will not help me. Just do not understand why RSA web interface not responding. Maybe card is crashed. Do you have any experience? Also do you know if I can still use IBM's bootable media creator even model is not listed?

It is quite likely that the card crashed, i've seen that happening on a couple of those IBM x3650 (Model 7979 as you have).
Power down the server, remove power cords, sometimes even removing and re-seating the card fixes the issue until next time. It was and is major annoyance on these servers. :-\
I remember that the RSA's IP can be set in the BIOS once the card gets recognized back again.

Concerning BOMC: The download page lists a legacy version 2.31 where model 7979 is still listed, possibly one of the last versions to support non-UEFI models (x3650 M2 was already UEFI-based).
Your model is listed there and last RSAII firmware is 1.14 that should be downloaded (ibm_fw_rsa2_ggep42_...). You will want that one since earlier versions broke with Java.

And as I wrote if you installed the card from another model (or got the card off eBay) it is likely to not run the firmware it needs for production use.
In that case the card is likely coming up but things like remove KVM didn't work and forcing the update definitely worked via the UI.
(that's been a longer time since I did that so bear with my memory)

Update: It does seem that the newer versions of BOMC create UEFI-compatible boot discs, that's (likely) why the BIOS-based x3650 doesn't like the created media. You'll want the legacy BOMC executable to create the ISO.

Last edited:
No it is brand new and two years old card bought from IBM. But I was trying latest version. So thank you for noting 2.31 which I see my model in the list. I am also re-seating the card. I can see bmc and RSA setting in bios fine. I do not want to believe that card is crashed which was sitting in same server for couple year. I never touched it since it is plugged in. But I also read some crashing stories. I am going to also give it a try with version 2.31 created iso.

After a re-seat, rsa web ui was avaliable for only couple of minutes and gone again. That drives me crayz really.

I can understand you - power off once again, set the IP in the BIOS and try getting the firmware updated via Web (USERID / PASSW0RD by default (0 for zero not Otto).
Even if the card came from IBM, it may not come flashed with the server-specific RSAII firmware - which is also causing interesting issues.

Anyway, the individual firmware can be found over here, the README specifies in which order the 2 files need to be sent to the RSA adapter.
Good luck with that beast!

I can understand you - power off once again, set the IP in the BIOS and try getting the firmware updated via Web (USERID / PASSW0RD by default (0 for zero not Otto).
Even if the card came from IBM, it may not come flashed with the server-specific RSAII firmware - which is also causing interesting issues.

Anyway, the individual firmware can be found over here, the README specifies in which order the 2 files need to be sent to the RSA adapter.
Good luck with that beast!

One more question, in bios I see two network configuration, one for RSA and one for BMC? Why is that? I can assume there might not be RSA card but how do I use BMC ip?

Ah, this guy mentions he had to reset the card before he could get it going: http://xorl.wordpress.com/2011/08/21/ibm-rsa-ii-card-replacement-and-re-configuration/
Yup, I remember I had to do that to if things were messed up. Let me know if you get that bloody card fixed. :)

Concerning your question (sorry for other readers for being Proxmox off-topic)
The baseboard management controller BMC is integrated on the motherboard and available even when no RSAII is installed and monitors base system health but can do less and is less that easily accessible.
It can be accessed over IPMI tools if I remember right, Windows required some extra bridge tool. Basically it allows you to get some sensor data and remotely control power of the server, and that's mostly about it.
I don't remember if RSAII cards extend BMC or if it overrides it once the RSAII is installed.

Difference is also that the BMC port is shared with one of the onboard NIC ports, RSA has its dedicated port.
RSAII can do much more (KVM, remote media, mail-warning, LDAP auth, etc...) compared to the base BMC, but it costs extra money.

On the later systems IMM needed a physical key to enable all features, I have some M4 systems withe IMM2 (all onboard) which enables features using activation keys just like HP's ILO
Also IMM(2) is way, way better than the ol' RSA's, at least IBM learned a bit out of the past :-\

After all those updates and re-seat. RSA Web ui is only avaliable during server post and goes away again. I gave up. There is notthing left I tried other than chaning the card.

The card works also when the Server is powered off but connected to a power cord, either use the default or DHCP-assigned IP (or set the IP in the BIOS and power the server down) then connect to RSA and as wrote: (Reset) and then flash the card with the Firmware specific for the x3650, otherwise there is no chance to get it working. (even it's 1U brother the x3550 needs another firmware)

The card works also when the Server is powered off but connected to a power cord, either use the default or DHCP-assigned IP (or set the IP in the BIOS and power the server down) then connect to RSA and as wrote: (Reset) and then flash the card with the Firmware specific for the x3650, otherwise there is no chance to get it working. (even it's 1U brother the x3550 needs another firmware)

I tried all these and gave up.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!