Lenovo Server RD640 - Raid Controller 710

sfidencio

Nov 23, 2020
Good night,

1. I have two RD 640 servers with identical configurations, as follows:

2. It has 64GB of RAM.

3. Two 300GB SAS disks

4. RAID OffBoard Controller Card, R710, with 1GB Cache. Supports Raid 0/1/10/5/50/60

5. The customer will purchase an additional 6 disks of 960GB SSD or Mechanical Disks of 1TB each, with a speed of 10k.

6. I thought to do the following:
6.1. Perform a RAID 1 on the controller, on the 300GB disks and install the Proxmox / Debian operating system. In short, the virtualizer Host.

7. Make a RAID 5 or 6, with the other 6 disks (Be it SSD or Mechanical), and make the storage pool for the Virtual Machines (VM's). I will use the normal LVM file system and [NOT ZFS], that is, my RAID will be directly on HARDWARE, and not via SOFWARE, any problem in this regard?

8. After performing the initial configurations, I intend to create a Cluster configuration, and replication of VM's from one node to another. Is it possible to configure my replication in real time, without using ZFS or CephFS?

9. Considering that it is not possible to replicate data from one node to another without using ZFS or Ceph, can I use ZFS or Ceph using my RAID configuration over HARDWARE? or I will have to configure my disks without RAID, in other words, no-RAID, with that it will appear to me in PROXMOX, two disks of 300GB and 6 disks of 1TB individually, that is, separate volume, and then I will have to do the RAID using ZFS? Is the RAID configuration over HARDWARE not more secure than software RAID?

10 . In short, I want you to give your opinion about the best scenario to be implemented with ProxMox, according to the HARDWARE configurations proposed above. They can describe sequentially.

Thanks My Friends!

Hi,

any problem in this regard?
No, this is fine.
The alternative is you like the capability for snapshots, you can use LVM-Thin.
This is not as fast but has snapshots.

Good afternoon, Thanks to everyone who answered my questions.

1. I finished the tests in my laboratory environment, using virtualbox, simulating a real environment with 2 two Physical Machines, and a third machine, with Debian Linux, which will be the node fake (qdevice). It worked 100%, "a tear almost got out of my eyes;). Lol". I used ZFS with raid 5 to store data from VM's and LXC containers, and 2 disks in ZFS raid 1, for the Operating System.

2. In agreement with the client, it was decided to use 2 physical machines from Lenovo RD640, as I described the configurations above, and to my delight, he had recently purchased a Raspberry PI with 1 Gigalan network input, I asked him install debian on it. it was top !!!

3. I will risk using the latest update of the proxmox, which will give me access to the backup feature, 6.2-15, because the 6.2-4 that is the original ISO compiled, does not have. I understand the risks of using unstable packages, but I believe that these packages hardly have bugs, linux is another life, it is not like Microsoft Windows.

4. Thank you, as soon as I become more familiar with the environment, and get more customers, I will purchase annual support, or encourage IT managers to purchase them.

5. I am working hard on the dissemination and use of the environment here in Brazil, in the state of Goiás.

Regards, Sebastião Fidêncio da Silva Pereira

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!