Lenovo M910q with Realtek RTL8125 only 100Mbit/s

uwe0480

Aug 17, 2023
I have two Lenovo M910q systems and have installed a Realtek RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller in each one. The cards are directly connected with no switch in between.

Code:
lspci -v | grep Ethernet
00:1f.6 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (2) I219-LM Subsystem: Lenovo Ethernet Connection (2) I219-LM
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller (rev 05)

Ethtool shows the correct device as well as link modes and advertised link modes.

Code:
ethtool enp2s0
Settings for enp2s0:
    Supported ports: [ TP     MII ]
    Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                            100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                            1000baseT/Full
                            2500baseT/Full
    Supported pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
    Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
    Supported FEC modes: Not reported
    Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                            1000baseT/Full
                            2500baseT/Full
    Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
    Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
    Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
    Link partner advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
    Link partner advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
    Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
    Link partner advertised FEC modes: Not reported
    Speed: 100Mb/s
    Duplex: Full
    Auto-negotiation: on
    master-slave cfg: preferred slave
    master-slave status: slave
    Port: Twisted Pair
    PHYAD: 0
    Transceiver: external
    MDI-X: Unknown
    Supports Wake-on: pumbg
    Wake-on: d
    Link detected: yes

Code:
lshw -class network
  *-network
       description: Ethernet interface
       product: RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller
       vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
       logical name: enp2s0
       version: 05
       serial: 1c:fd:08:7a:ae:d6
       size: 100Mbit/s
       capacity: 1Gbit/s
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
       configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=6.2.16-8-pve duplex=full firmware=rtl8125b-2_0.0.2 07/13/20 ip=172.0.0.2 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=100Mbit/s
       resources: irq:17 ioport:e000(size=256) memory:f7010000-f701ffff memory:f7020000-f7023fff memory:f7000000-f700ffff

Unfortunately, even if the two network cards are identical, they only negotiate to 100Mb/s. I have changed network cables and tried ethtool -s enp2s0 speed 2500 duplex full to force full speed. It does not work and breaks the connection. I have also connected one card to my Unifi Switch to test the connection. The result is the same. The maximum speed is 100Mb/s. Does anyone has an idea?

You're sure that you're using standard patch cable? At least CAT5e (better CAT6) and NOT cross over cables!
The wire colors are the same on both plugs?

You're sure that you're using standard patch cable? At least CAT5e (better CAT6) and NOT cross over cables!
The wire colors are the same on both plugs?
I have used CAT7 cables which are installed throughout my entire network. Alternatively, I tested CAT6 cables from Ubiquity. Both with the same negative result. I have no idea, why all modes are fine, yet it only negotiates to the slow speed.

CAT7 is absolutely fine and should work. But could still be a connection problem.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!