Legacy ubuntu VM killed by backup?

dragon2611

Renowned Member
Jul 2, 2010
Any ideas for this one, Essentially I have a VM where doing a backup snapshot kills it.

PVE 6.1.5,

When doing a snapshot backup of a legacy ubuntu 14.04 VM to a NFS share provided by a centos8 VM onto a VDO volume backed by an ISCSI mount on an RS814 (The Centos VM doing VDO is excluded from the backup run) It will cause a kernel panic on the Ubuntu 14.04 VM.

Other VM's based on later kernels/OS seem to throw errors to the console about cpu stalls and I see a few minutes of disruption but they seem to recover themselves once the backup is done, it's just the Ubuntu 14.04 VM (Which I hope to replace soon) that actually dies.

I'm not worried about the other VM's and the CPU stalls I just consider that as par for the course due to using low-end hardware.

This is on hardware i've been able to acquire cheaply for personal use so nothing enterprise here.

Could you try backing up to a non-NFS storage? (i.e. a local disk for testing, or SMB/CIFS etc...)

People have been reporting some issues with NFS hanging their VMs recently, could be that the kernel in 14.04 doesn't like that too much.

Providing there's enough room on the proxmox root partition I might be able to back it up there temporarily.
It always used to backup on when the storage wasn't NFS so I'd say that's a good bet.

Also the NFS VM has a local raid vdisk passed through to it, I might also try an NFS export pointing at that (Seems to be a bit faster in terms of write speeds/responsiveness)

I did do a manually triggered backup of the VM without it dieing last week so I suspect it's to do with the storage performance and how long it's stunned for.

Edit:

Trying running the full backup again to the same storage but with bwlimit set to 30MB/s , Noticed when I kicked of a backup the CPU for the storage VM went through the roof (Expected it's doing compression/duplication) and the iowait for the server overall was in the high 40-60% range.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!