learning how to recover VMs manually

ndroftheline

Jun 17, 2017
Hey all, fairly new to Proxmox, on the learning curve.

Hosed one of my test ndoes by deleting things I shouldn't have while mucking with clusters, and cbf rebuilding it - installing fresh with V5 instead.

However I'd like to try and learn what I can about Proxmox' structure from my screwed host's filesystem which I still have, and see if I can pull any VMs out.

I've tried to google a bit but most things I've read say to use vzdump - this command doesn't work in my install, so I'm wondering if there's any way to manually pull VMs or anything useful out of a hosed host with a functioning filesystem?

the vm configs are in the pmxcfs , a virtual filesystem see https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Proxmox_Cluster_File_System_(pmxcfs)
especially the last part for recovery

as for the vms disks, this depends largely on your setup,
but the default storage is lvm-thin

which means that you could activate the lvs and copy them in a raw file , for example with dd

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!