Large VMs on Proxmox

Babetecno

Apr 24, 2020
Hi,

I have a Proxmox server with 128GB and two sockets (8C/16T, 64 GB each). When I create a Windows Server VM with 64GB and 2 sockets with 8 vCPU per socket, the performance of the VM is not good enoough. When I decrement the RAM of the VM to 32 GB, the performance is good. NUMA option on the VM is enabled. Why is this happening? Is this a KVM problem?

I guess that when I assign a quantity of RAM equal or larger than the RAM in one socket of the server, Proxmox needs to retrieve RAM memory from the other processor, decrementing the performance. Am I right?

Is there anyway to create Large VMs on Proxmox with a good performance?

Thanks.

Best R.

hi,

* could you send the VM configuration? qm config VMID

the performance of the VM is not good enoough.
what do you mean exactly? can you give a specific example?

it can be happening for many reasons, like for example the PVE host could be running out of resources if the VM is eating too much.

root@pve1:~# qm config 101 agent: 1 bootdisk: scsi0 cores: 4 cpu: host ide0: none,media=cdrom memory: 65536 name: WS2k16-APP net0: virtio=DA:05:CE:AA:21:1F,bridge=vmbr10,firewall=1 numa: 1 onboot: 1 ostype: win10 scsi0: RAID1SSD:101/vm-101-disk-0.raw,cache=writeback,discard=on,size=200G scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci smbios1: uuid=bdbaa789-5adc-4492-8841-4747dd199b82 sockets: 2 vmgenid: 5eb12257-4ca9-47c3-9556-86ef3789e7aa

The "normal" use of the VM is slow considering the virtual hardware specs. It takes too much time to open
a folder, to open PowerShell, to open a Program... Nothing exagerate but too much for the associated hardware.

Thanks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!