lacp bond wihout speed increase

geronimobb

Apr 22, 2017
Hy,

On 2 proxmox servers, I bonded 2 network ports (2x1gbps) with lacp, created it in the switch, and created a vmbr on top of it. Both servers are connected to the same switch, I expected a speed increase but it still looks limited to 1gbps when doing transfers between them (fe zfs replication).
Config for both is the same and looks like:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

iface eno2 inet manual

iface eno3 inet manual

iface eno4 inet manual

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
slaves eno1 eno2
bond_miimon 100
bond_mode 802.3ad
bond_xmit_hash_policy layer2+3

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.0.191
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1
bridge_ports bond0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0
bridge_vlan_aware yes

The proxmox management interface is created on the vmbr (192.168.0.191). I did see examples where the interface is added to the bond, but i don't see any reason at the moment why that would make a difference?

Kind regards

Thanks for the hint. Unfortunately, that didn't make any difference.

Any other hints?

What is the difference in hooking up proxmox IP to the vmbr vs the bond?

Single connection will be always limited to the speed of single interface. LACP bond increase total throughput (read as sum of all connections).

True, i forgot about that...

So i added another connection from another machine. The sum of the connections never go above the capacity of 1 interface?

True, i forgot about that...

So i added another connection from another machine. The sum of the connections never go above the capacity of 1 interface?

1 connection will always be on 1 interfaces.
2 connections can be on 2 differents interfaces or same interface.
It's depend of the hash policy. (layer3+4 is a hash of ip src -ip dest - port src -port dst).
Note that hash policy in proxmox is for packets going out proxmox. you always have a hash policy in your switch, for traffic going to proxmox.

Thanks for the update. I tested with 3 machines, didn't work. After i rebooted the switch, all fine now!

I still do no understand the difference in concept between hooking up proxmox to the bond or the vmbr, can someone explain?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
bond=virtual interface
vmbr (bridge)= virtual switch. a switch passes traffic between interfaces.

If you connect "proxmox" to an interface, you're only making the interface available to the host. if you connect "proxmox" to a bridge, that bridge is available to route traffic between the interface and you virtual machines/containers.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!