LAB: Ceph EC

dragon2611

Renowned Member
Jul 2, 2010
So I'm playing around with Ceph in a lab setup on some extremely low-end hardware, and I was testing EC on a 3 node cluster.

I had Proxmox installed on USB sticks as originally, I didn't realise the OSD can be a partition rather than the whole disk.

I started removing/replacing OSD's so I could move Swap onto the SSD rather than the USB stick
What I've noticed with one OSD down, is a number of PG's go into active+undersized or active+underside+degraded and I/O is blocked, is this as expected?
running K=2,M=1, only 3 OSD's as these are SFF machines so can't take more drives.

It seems since yesterday there's been a CEPH update, I just upgraded from 17.2.4 to 17.2.5 and now I seem to be able to write to the EC 2,1 volumes with a OSD offline.

Edit:
I think it was actually the lack of Trim and the state of some of my SSD's that was the problem and it working after upgrade was just a co-incidence

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!