KVM virtualisation configured, but not available

llamprec

Apr 2, 2022
Greetings All,
I have searched the forum and many people say that the issue could be in the bios. The recommendation is as follows, "Either disable in VM configuration or enable in BIOS".
My setup, I have a 2 CPU 40 core HP server, where I have installed Proxmox as my hardware OS. I have then created two virtual machines and also installed proxmox on them as well. After that I created a cluster and added all 3 servers into the cluster.
If I use the primary server to create any VM then I have no hassles at all, but if I try to create a VM an either of the two virtual machines then I run into the same iss with the error in the log files below.
Apr 24 01:52:03 prox01 pvedaemon[210915]: <root@pam> starting task UPID: prox01:000372CE:00875F3A:62649123:qmstart:106:root@pam:
Apr 24 01:52:03 prox01 pvedaemon[225998]: start VM 106: UPID: prox01:000372CE:00875F3A:62649123:qmstart:106:root@pam:
Apr 24 01:52:03 prox01 pvedaemon[225998]: KVM virtualisation configured, but not available. Either disable in VM configuration or enable in BIOS.
Apr 24 01:52:03 prox01 pvedaemon[210915]: <root@pam> end task UPID: prox01:000372CE:00875F3A:62649123:qmstart:106:root@pam: KVM virtualisation configured, but not available. Either disable in VM configuration or enable in BIOS.

Why is it that I can create a VM successfully on one server and not of the other two?

Thanks
Lawrence

Last edited:
HI, in order for the VMs to act as hypervisors themself, you need to activate nested virtualization on the physical host, see https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Nested_Virtualization

What are you trying to achieve with your setup? I hope this is for testing/learning only, because your setup as is, is screaming for problems. Also, for testing the cluster it would make more sense to create a cluster out of 3 Proxmox VMs

Reactions: llamprec
HI, in order for the VMs to act as hypervisors themself, you need to activate nested virtualization on the physical host, see https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Nested_Virtualization

What are you trying to achieve with your setup? I hope this is for testing/learning only, because your setup as is, is screaming for problems. Also, for testing the cluster it would make more sense to create a cluster out of 3 Proxmox VMs
Thank you for your input and I hear you.
To clarify, yes this is only for learning and will be deleted and recreated multiple times until I understand the product a little better. I have started a new job where I need to know a fair bit about proxmox.
Can you please clarify something for me. You say that my setup creams problems, is that because I have mixed a hardware installation in combination with two VMs?

I will heed your advice and use 3 VM images to create my cluster, but then I worry that I will run into the same issue when creating new VMs.
Will keep you posted
Thanks
Lawrence

Thank you for your input and I hear you.
To clarify, yes this is only for learning and will be deleted and recreated multiple times until I understand the product a little better. I have started a new job where I need to know a fair bit about proxmox.
Can you please clarify something for me. You say that my setup creams problems, is that because I have mixed a hardware installation in combination with two VMs?

I will heed your advice and use 3 VM images to create my cluster, but then I worry that I will run into the same issue when creating new VMs.
Will keep you posted
Thanks
Lawrence
That is because you can have self referencing VMs...
E.g. you would like to migrate one of your VMs (which is initially on the physical host, but part of the cluster) to let's say itself (as it is a node in the cluster, that should be possible)...
And this is just an obvious example, there are probably a lot more subtle ones, especially regarding the quorum in the cluster.

For testing I would suggest, enable nested virtualization on the physical host, setup 3 VMs, install Proxmox on each one of those and join these 3 virtual hosts together as cluster... Then you can test all the features you would like to on your virtual cluster... If you mess up, just create a new set of VMs and get rid of the old ones.. ecc.

Reactions: llamprec
That is because you can have self referencing VMs...
E.g. you would like to migrate one of your VMs (which is initially on the physical host, but part of the cluster) to let's say itself (as it is a node in the cluster, that should be possible)...
And this is just an obvious example, there are probably a lot more subtle ones, especially regarding the quorum in the cluster.

For testing I would suggest, enable nested virtualization on the physical host, setup 3 VMs, install Proxmox on each one of those and join these 3 virtual hosts together as cluster... Then you can test all the features you would like to on your virtual cluster... If you mess up, just create a new set of VMs and get rid of the old ones.. ecc.
Great advice and I will do that for sure. My next trick is to try to figure out how to set the nested virtualization on my HP DL360 server.

Thanks for your advice.
Lawrence

Proxmox wiki has an article about nested virtualization.
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Nested_Virtualization
I did some checking and it seems that it is set.
1650888082034.png

So I assume that it is some setting in Proxmox that needs to be set.

Reading further on that thread and some other location I tried the following.

qm set 105 --cpu=kvm64

This ran successfully.
Looking at the VM now I see the following.
1650897864476.png

Only now when I try to create a VM using the ubuntu 20.04, I get different errors. When I try to start the VM I get the following error.
1650897946247.png
Have not seen this one before.

Lawrence

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!