[SOLVED] KVM to Proxmox2 migration

petka

Hi all there,

I'm new here, was thinking about migrating from Linux KVM (Ubuntu) to Proxmox 2.1.
According to what's on wiki:"Just create an new VM on Proxmox VE and add the existing disk image to this new VM, set the boot order and start."
it should be easy, nonetheless it's not an option, or I'm overlooking something.

When I create a VM, and I'm in the "disk" section, I'm choosing my previously defined storage, but I can't select an existing image. It always creates a new one. There is no "browse" button for existing images. Where is the "add the existing disk image to this new VM" option then?

Pete

Last edited:
You can list all images at CLI using

# pvesm list <storeid>

You can add an unused images to a VM with:

# qm set <VMID> --unused0 <volid>

After that you can see that one the GUI too.

Marvellous. Thank you a lot for your help and understanding!
The volid is the first argument of pvesm indeed. I apologize for not being "enlighten" enough, although this has not been explained neither in "man qm", nor on the internet.
Nevertheless I can go ahead with my system's migration now.

Thank you very much indeed again,
Peter.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!