KVM Snapshot backup failed ( stuck )

Hello,

We have tried vzdump backups today using scheduled backups and the whole process stucked tonight. 2 of 2 proxmox nodes just did not finish their first backup (of the first VM to backup ) and stopped in between (rather stucked there, no progress )- those 2 VMs remained locked and not reachable until we killed the backup process ( task ) and unlocked the VMs using the cli.

- That is a status-screenshot of the running / stucked process:
- For the Local storage raw vm: http://screencast.com/t/Mo9PAnTiZtte
- For the LVM storage node: http://screencast.com/t/JY08gYiPOgfM
- It stucked for several hours (3-4 hours)

Any known issues here? I have seen some 1.x issues which should have been fixed a while ago in 2.x, but well, we are using:

Facts for both nodes:
- pve-manager/3.3-1/a06c9f73 (running kernel: 2.6.32-29-pve)
- active subscription
- one VM had a LVM storage
- the other a local raw storage
- both vms are kvm
- both proxmox storage are raid 1 hardware raids
- The backups are done on a samba share on all servers (1GBit internal connection to a netapp)
- backups on those to nodes started with 4 hours difference

What we tried before:
- Starting a backup manually worked without issues - also restoring on a different node

What we tried after:
- Samba share is mounted and writeable
- We unlocked both nodes and killed the tasks manually (using ps / kill )
- We also tried to run a new backup manually, which stopped on "ionice 7" and never even tried to create a dump. Looking like "waiting for ever"

Last edited:
How is that a solution to the problem :) ? SMB is supposed to work and i cannot use NFS, since it is not available from my storage hoster.

I had experienced this problem, when i used windows server 2012 as backup server with smb protocol.
When i switched to NFS service on my windows server, the problem with stucking goes away.

I had experienced this problem, when i used windows server 2012 as backup server with smb protocol.
When i switched to NFS service on my windows server, the problem with stucking goes away.
Well thats a pitty, i cant change to NFS but i could try to backup localy - if the error does not occur, it must be SMB - maybe some mount options ( locking) are responsible for this?

Thanks for the reply

Well thats a pitty, i cant change to NFS but i could try to backup localy - if the error does not occur, it must be SMB - maybe some mount options ( locking) are responsible for this?

Thanks for the reply

I also tried local backup - all works fine. In conjunction with SMB backup process freezed at 94% and IO operation dropped to minimum with lzop process in the memory.
Try to google smb mount options and check them out.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!