KVM memory leak / issue

Rockstar04

Mar 29, 2012
I have just installed ProxMox 2.0 (and done all the updates to it once installed) and only have one Virtual Machine running on it (Full VM Xubuntu 12.04) and the guest systems reports less then 15% memory usage even after several days of up-time, but ProxMox reports that the VM is using over 98% of the 7.75G the VM has allocated to it.

What could cause the difference in reported ram usage between the guest and ProxMox?? I could understand a few %, because of overhead but not a 85% difference.

Link to photo shot of ProxMox web dash

#Free (run in the guest) seems to agree with ProxMox, but #Top sorted by ram shows that there is nothing coming even close to using that much ram.

Code:
rockstar04@MC-Server-VM:~$ free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:       7662352    6965368     696984          0     221068    5237808
-/+ buffers/cache:    1506492    6155860
Swap:      6289404        128    6289276

The thing that leads me to believe that the issue is with ProxMox it that I can restart the guest with the ProxMox web interface, and from the guest OS itself, and the ram usage never changes according to ProxMox.

Well you can close this one as solved, the server is caching like crazy since its a Minecraft server (caching the worlds) and is completely normal, it was just my inexperience with Linux that caused my alarm. Thanks for the help guys!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!