KVM and sheepdog

webfrank

May 28, 2011
Hi, I would like to know how to test sheepdog storage for KVM. I installed a two node test storage cluster with sheepdog 0.4 and know I would like to create a KVM on my two node Proxmox cluster. I think I should change by hand vmid.conf as web interface is not ready for sheepdog but what should I have to write?
Something like this would be correct:

virtio0: sheepdog:vm-xxx-disk-1

I also think have to install pve-sheepdog package but I don't want at this moment to have Proxmox be part of sheepdog cluster.

Any help is appreciated

sheepdog is not stable. use it only for testing and be prepared for data loss. a short search regarding your question shows this hint:
___
We could also install sheepdog on external servers.
(We can onl specify 1 ip, so it need to add a virtual ip to the corosync cluster if sheepdog is not on the kvm host)

configuration
--------------

/etc/pve/storage.cfg
sheepdog: sheepdogtest
portal 10.6.0.100:7000
content images

sheepdog: sheepdoglocal
portal 127.0.0.1:7000
content images
__

Tnx Tom.
What I've done:
- install pve-sheepdog on the two node proxmox cluster
- discovered that the protocol to access my sheepdog cluster is not supported (I'll post more info)
- decided to start sheepdog inside proxmox creating dir /var/lib/sheepdog/disc0 and inside touch startup
- start daemon /etc/init.d/sheepdog (should be renamed pve-sheepdog as stated in /etc/default/sheepdog ?)
- format cluster with collie cluster format -c 2
- configure storage like Tom example
After these steps I was able to create and migrate KVM VM seamless. Only write performance are poor, 15MB/s.

Hi, no, I used the standard LV pve-root for this test. Is it possible to configure where sheepdog storage should be put?

no, but you can mount a disk in /var/lib/sheepdog/disc0.
(I can recommand you xfs as filesystem).

If you use default pve-root, you need to add user_xattr option for ext3
/dev/pve/root / ext3 errors=remount-ro,user_xattr 0 1

One more problem raised today, backup. vzdump reported:
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 123 (qemu)
INFO: status = running
ERROR: Backup of VM 123 failed - no such volume 'SD:vm-123-disk-1'
INFO: Backup job finished with errors

where SD is a sheepdog storage

With sheepdog snapshots should be similar to lvm, isn't it? Where is backup code to have a look at it?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!