Kubernates

KORG

Renowned Member
Dec 25, 2012
Hello,

I'd wish to understand if anyone here running production-grade Kubernates on proxmox (either in KVM or in LXC). I found many articles on web, but most of them are about test or small k8s small or test clusters.

As far as I understood (please correct me if I wrong - Kubernetes needs some speciallized SoftwareDefined Network with virtual loadbalancers to properly assign networking to pods.

Thanks for your input

I'd wish to understand if anyone here running production-grade Kubernates on proxmox (either in KVM or in LXC).

What is production grade for you? In the highly virtualized world, you spin up at least three nodes for a k8s cluster and run your one application on it. If you need another software, just spin up another set of nodes, this is at least what we do.

I don't think that a fully fledged k8s system (not minikube) is working on lxc, but I could be wrong.

As far as I understood (please correct me if I wrong - Kubernetes needs some speciallized SoftwareDefined Network with virtual loadbalancers to properly assign networking to pods.

Yes sure, and you only need to configure ingress, but that is all k8s stuff and has nothing to do with the underlying virtualization.

>>As far as I understood (please correct me if I wrong - Kubernetes needs some speciallized SoftwareDefined Network with virtual loadbalancers to >>properly assign networking to pods.

The main problem with on-prem kubernetes, is how to manage external balancing to your kubernetes host.

for this,

you can also use metallb
https://metallb.universe.tf/

for managing an HA-failover vip in your kubecluster , or if you have bgp on your router, it can use bgp to do ecmp loadbalancing.

I'm using rke from rancher to deploy kubernetes cluster on top of proxmox vms, with calico cni.
https://github.com/rancher/rke

Reactions: KORG

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!