Keyboard and mouse not working on installation

bea

Dec 25, 2020
Hi,

I'm trying to install Proxmox for the first time. Keyboard and mouse does not work on the first screen I get when trying to install from the USB stick, so I cannot choose "Install". Hardware is Partaker I5.

I have tried several USB sticks, mouses and keyboards, nothing works.

I read I could install first a Debian (keyboard and mouse work without a problem when installing Debian) and then Proxmox. But I also read that installing Proxmox after Debian will not be as easy as installing Proxmox directly (at least for someone not expert like me) because partitions would not be automatically arranged by Proxmox.

Any suggestion on how to enable mouse or keyboard in my Proxmox installation?

Otherwise, what kind of partition scheme should I arrange when installing Debian?
I have only one disk of 256GB.
Any other recommendation about preparing Debian would be welcome too.

Thank you!

hi,

mouse isn't needed during install
have you tried the regular things
* hitting tab and pressing enter when button is highlighted
* alt+<underlined key on button>
* hitting random stuff on the keyboard
etc? or is the no input at all?

if none of this works:
* are you booting UEFI or legacy mode? try the other mode

if you choose to install debian first:
check here [0]
for the partitioning you can do it however you like, it depends on your hardware. if you have an SSD and decent amount of ram (>16G) then might be a good option.
otherwise i'd just go with thin-lvm (this is what we use by default on the installation) and add another disk later if the need arises

[0]: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Buster

Thank you @oguz for your help.

It works now. I had to enter into the BIOS and do the following changes:
Chipset > South Bridge > USB Configuration: set XHCI to Disabled and USB 2.0 (EHCI) to Enabled

Cheers

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!