KernelCare and Proxmox 4.x

hacman

Renowned Member
Oct 11, 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has issues with KernelCare and Proxmox 4.x.

We've just set this up today, as we've had great success with it on our VMs. Sadly we're now seeing the below:

Code:
Sent: 22 January 2016 00:27
To: [REDACTED]
Subject: Cron <[REDACTED]> /usr/bin/kcarectl --auto-update

Unknown Kernel (debian 4.2.6-1-pve)

It's a little concerning, seeing as KernelCare is supposed to be a Proxmox partner.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Jon

Same with pve-kernel-4.2.8-1-pve:
Code:
# kcarectl --update
Unknown Kernel (debian 4.2.8-1-pve)

Not what we've been expecting when paying for both products ...

Hmmm... I see 4.2.6 on patches.kernelcare.com, though. As for 4.2.8 this one currently only has one released version so there wouldn't be any updates available anyhow.

There may not be updates yet, but this should not really generate an error that the kernel version is not recognised?

Surely if there are no updates, but the kernel has been released KernelCare should have a place-holder added so as to avoid these errors.

This is somewhat sad to see really, since KernelCare and Proxmox supposedly are in a partnership.

Sorry about that. All the security patches were added there before - we do most of them out of band from Proxmox - we monitor security mailing lists, and apply them as soon as they known.
Yet, somehow our monitoring system missed new kernel version - so it wasn't detected.

The detection for new version has been added. We will check what happened with monitoring system.

Hello,

After the last kernel update, again the same error:
Unknown Kernel (debian 4.4.44-1-pve)

Indeed I had to restart the server to get the new kernel working...

Also getting this email from my cron job running /usr/bin/kcarectl --auto-update
<urlopen error [SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:581)>

pveversion -v
proxmox-ve: 4.4-88 (running kernel: 4.4.59-1-pve)
pve-manager: 4.4-13 (running version: 4.4-13/7ea56165)
pve-kernel-4.4.59-1-pve: 4.4.59-87

Any ideas how to further debug this or should I ask on the KernelCare side?

Also getting this email from my cron job running /usr/bin/kcarectl --auto-update

pveversion -v
proxmox-ve: 4.4-88 (running kernel: 4.4.59-1-pve)
pve-manager: 4.4-13 (running version: 4.4-13/7ea56165)
pve-kernel-4.4.59-1-pve: 4.4.59-87

Any ideas how to further debug this or should I ask on the KernelCare side?

Same error..

Today, I am getting a similar error, shall I jsut go ahead and wait for kernelcare to catch up with proxmox kernels or do I need to do anything?

Code:
Unknown Kernel (debian 4.4.117-1-pve)

Today, I am getting a similar error, shall I jsut go ahead and wait for kernelcare to catch up with proxmox kernels or do I need to do anything?

As soon as there is the first patch for the kernel the message will disappear.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!