Kernel switch

Kevin86

Jun 12, 2019
Hi,

I am looking for information how to change the default kernel at boot time. Had a look in the Wiki and forum, but was not able to find an answer.
I am trying to set an already installed kernel default at boot again, since I think I am experiencing an issue with the latest kernel. This way I hope to figure out if that is really the case.

Anyone that can help this noob? ;)

Thanks!

Found out that I am not using Grub, but systemd-boot according to the Proxmox manual. Also figured out that the latest kernel indeed introduced a problem in my VM guest, so I manually chose the kernel release before that one, that was still on my system.

Also added it to 'manually selected kernels' with 'pve-efiboot-tool kernel add 5.0.21-4-pve' assuming this prevents deletion in future kernel updates as a safeguard.

The question remains, how to set my latest kernel (or any giving issues for that matter) as 'disabled' in systemd-boot? Anyone? Have been searching a good time now, but cannot find this in the manuals. Normally my server is 'headless' so it is a pain not be able to do a remote reboot with the bootloader configured with the kernel of my choice.

Last edited:
I have exact same issue, I want to select kernel which works with my environment, and it select wrong kernel I want to set default to old kernel but it does not happen, and I can't remove latest one too as it wants to remove more then just the latest kernel

I have two options in my boot loader
5.3.18-2-pve ( one I want to boot)
5.3.18-3-pve which gets booted now and It hungs, so I need to select old kernel for boot for it to work properly,

I use systemd-boot as I have uefi boot on 16x disks (zfs - radiz-1)

can anyone help so I can boot different kernel by default

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!