[SOLVED] Kernel panick. Advice on debugging

anderstn

Dec 22, 2020
Hi

So the other day I attempted to run my proxmox without a VGA card as I wanted to use the same PCIe slot for another network card. This didn't work. It seems like the motherboard had no intention of posting without a VGA card present. However after trying this I started getting Kernel Panic messages after booting.

The error message which I understand is indicative of the actual issue is: "initramfs unpacking failed: junk within compressed archive". I have attached the complete boot sequence as well however by my basic understanding the issue here seems to be that the ramdisk can't be constructed because there is junk in a compressed archive. However I have no idea what archive it's referencing as I have little experience with Linux outside of conventional desktop distributions. How do I go about debugging this further or fixing the problem.

20220205_124329 (Custom).jpg

So it appears that a newer kernel was installed. I did update the server shortly prior to attempting to run it without a GPU present, but I was sure I had rebooted it to check that this kernel was ok. Either way the kernel panic only happens when booting kernel version 5.13.19-3-pve. The older kernels boot just fine.

I downloaded kernel 5.13.19-4 and it works fine. I'm guessing something happened when initramfs was configured during the last kernel install or the kernel simply didn't play nice with my motherboard and my Ryzen 2700 CPU. Either way my problems are solved.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!