Kernel panic on VM boot

Astraea

Renowned Member
Aug 25, 2018
I have noticed when I boot my various VMs within my proxmox cluster that when they are booting from an off state they throw a kernel panic on boot but after a restart boot fine and will run without any issues for months and I can restart them at any time without issues it is just from when they boot from an off state.

Does anyone know what would cause this? and or how to fix this problem?

I only have 1 VM starting at boot which is my pfSense firewall and all my VMs with the exception of 1 are ubuntu server installs.

what does the guest log/kernel say?

I don't see anything abnormal in the logs but I could be looking for the wrong thing or in the wrong place. I will get a VM to cold boot and capture a screenshot tomorrow when I am back from work.

From what I have been able to find is that the VMs are throwing some sort of page fault or RAM fault when they boot but I have more RAM available than assigned and they are fine once they are restarted after the initial boot.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!