Kernel Crash Trace Log

mitt

Aug 29, 2022
I am trying to log the kernel logs when it crashes, however the configuration is not working for me.
I tried with netcat if the communication worked, and yes, I was able to connect to port 5555 by UDP.

Server 1

# cat /etc/default/grub

Bash:
GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet netconsole=5555@152.128.0.4/eth0,5555@162.128.0.14/08:00:27:d4:f5:ae loglevel=7"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

--
Server 2

# screen nc -l -p 5555 -u

--
Server 1

# reboot

--

Server 2

Bash:
root@test2:~# cat /var/log/netconsole/152.128.0.4.log
cat: /var/log/netconsole/152.128.0.4.log: No such file or directory

I do all the steps as explained in the guide but I can't get the file to be saved

Last edited:
As far as I understand, you forgot to pipe the file somewhere in the nc command, e.g. screen nc -l -p 5555 -u > /var/log/netconsole/152.128.0.4.log

nc does not do this automatically. However, if you attach to the screen session you should be able to read the output that is received by Server 2.

It might be helpful to link the guide you are following, which might clear up some questions here.

Hi,
stupid question, but did you run update-grub after changing the grub configuration? You can check with cat /proc/cmdline to see what's currently being used.

As far as I understand, you forgot to pipe the file somewhere in the nc command, e.g. screen nc -l -p 5555 -u > /var/log/netconsole/152.128.0.4.log

nc does not do this automatically. However, if you attach to the screen session you should be able to read the output that is received by Server 2.

It might be helpful to link the guide you are following, which might clear up some questions here.
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Kernel_Crash_Trace_Log

I just tried adding the file path in netcat, however it doesn't print anything to the console either.
It doesn't save anything to the file.

now i was able to get it to print to the console but it doesn't save to file

now i was able to get it to print to the console but it doesn't save to file
What if you don't prefix the command with screen?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!