Kernel crash issue

Hi,
@fiona in process of troubleshooting some pve 8.2 random freezes im currently looking into enabling kernel crashdumps. I followed the steps from this thread, but I do not get a /var/crash/<DATE> file for the crash successfully triggered with sync; echo c | tee /proc/sysrq-trigger
any idea? Do I need to have the dbsym packages? and if yes, is there a easy way to do now?
Code:
root@PMX8:/var/crash# dmesg | grep crash
[    0.000000] Command line: initrd=\EFI\proxmox\6.8.4-2-pve\initrd.img-6.8.4-2-pve root=ZFS=rpool/ROOT/pve-1 boot=zfs amd_iommu=on iommu=pt pcie_aspm.policy=performance crashkernel=384M-:512M
[    0.004996] crashkernel reserved: 0x0000000055000000 - 0x0000000075000000 (512 MB)
[    0.401744] Kernel command line: initrd=\EFI\proxmox\6.8.4-2-pve\initrd.img-6.8.4-2-pve root=ZFS=rpool/ROOT/pve-1 boot=zfs amd_iommu=on iommu=pt pcie_aspm.policy=performance crashkernel=384M-:512M
[    1.608775] pstore: Using crash dump compression: deflate

Code:
root@PMX8:/var/crash# ls
kdump_lock  kexec_cmd

Code:
root@PMX8:/var/crash# kdump-config show
DUMP_MODE:              kdump
USE_KDUMP:              1
KDUMP_COREDIR:          /var/crash
crashkernel addr: 0x55000000
   /var/lib/kdump/vmlinuz: symbolic link to /boot/vmlinuz-6.8.4-2-pve
kdump initrd:
   /var/lib/kdump/initrd.img: symbolic link to /var/lib/kdump/initrd.img-6.8.4-2-pve
current state:    ready to kdump

kexec command:
  /sbin/kexec -p --command-line="initrd=\EFI\proxmox.8.4-2-pve\initrd.img-6.8.4-2-pve root=ZFS=rpool/ROOT/pve-1 boot=zfs amd_iommu=on iommu=pt pcie_aspm.policy=performance reset_devices systemd.unit=kdump-tools-dump.service nr_cpus=1 irqpoll usbcore.nousb" --initrd=/var/lib/kdump/initrd.img /var/lib/kdump/vmlinuz

EDIT: I looked at the IPMI, but kvm console shutdown completly after triggering via sync; echo c | tee /proc/sysrq-trigger
asfar as I understood, ipmi should still be able to show the kernel dump etc. but yeah its just down instantly.
unfortunately, I haven't done it recently myself. Can you check the system logs/journal if there is any information? Maybe you need more memory (512 MiB worked for my test VM with 6 GiB RAM back then)?

There is a new 6.8.4-3-pve kernel on the no-subscription repository, that should address some of the issues with 6.8.

And in 6.8 the default for the intel_iommu kernel parameter changed, if it wasn't enabled manually before, adding intel_iommu=off to the kernel commandline might be worth a try: https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5423

We are still in need of getting kernel crash dumps up & running. Seems like the hardest part ist to get a dbg kernel. Can you explain how we can get it by using the documentation you mentioned: https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-kern...a483836863da4d34deb;hb=refs/heads/master#l105

Can you provide the commands to do this?
108 In order to build a -dbgsym package containing an unstripped copy of the kernel
109 image and modules, enable the 'pkg.pve-kernel.debug' build profile (e.g. by
110 exporting DEB_BUILD_PROFILES='pkg.pve-kernel.debug'). The resulting package can
111 be used together with 'crash'/'kdump-tools' to debug kernel crashes.
113 Note: the -dbgsym package is only valid for the pve-kernel packages produced by
114 the same build. A kernel/module from a different build will likely not match,
115 even if both builds are of the same kernel and package version.

Thanks for answering that quick! So this cant be done on system that have already been installed? Is this possible on a already installed system with pve 8.2? If yes, are there some commands missing (like git clone etc?)

Code:
root@PMX4:~# export DEB_BUILD_PROFILES='pkg.pve-kernel.debug'
root@PMX4:~# make deb
make: *** No rule to make target 'deb'.  Stop.
root@PMX4:~#

Thanks for answering that quick! So this cant be done on system that have already been installed? Is this possible on a already installed system with pve 8.2? If yes, are there some commands missing (like git clone etc?)

Code:
root@PMX4:~# export DEB_BUILD_PROFILES='pkg.pve-kernel.debug'
root@PMX4:~# make deb
make: *** No rule to make target 'deb'.  Stop.
root@PMX4:~#
Yes, you need to run the commands in the git repository for the kernel: https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-kernel.git;a=summary

See also the README file in the repository for build instructions.

Reactions: jsterr

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!