Keep the VMs on the same server as the proxmox.

juansantana

Oct 29, 2021
Hello guys!
I'm creating an environment with proxmox, currently a server with 64GB RAM and 8TB Storage.
I would like to ask a question. Can I keep VMs on the same server as proxmox? What downside to doing this?
I don't want to invest in a Storage for that, the intention was to have everything on this single server.

If you can give me a light.

I don't get what you want to ask. Do you mean "storage/disk" with "server"?

If you want to know If you can use the same HDD/SSD for your PVE system, for boot and as a storage for VMs then yes, that will work and is the default when you install PVE.

But there are multiple benefits when you use a dedicated 32-120GB SSD (or better two of them as a ZFS mirror) as your system disks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!