Keep Prompting For Other Tape

Skillet

Mar 26, 2021
Hi All

Trying to configure tape backups on PBS but for some reason the server keeps prompting me for the initial backup tape.

For example. started the tape backups on Day-5 and that backup completes without any issues.

When inserting the following days tape, example Day-6, it prompts me to insert Day-5 again?

Coming from Backup Exec and creating media sets and schedules was not half this troublesome.

Not using a robot library so have a user change tapes daily. Using 31 tapes on a rotational basis.

Hope it makes sense and that someone can offer guidance on how to configure it so that there will be minimal user intervention necessary.

Kind Regards

Attachments

• tape.jpg
    tape.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 6
can you post the output of
Code:
proxmox-tape pool list
proxmox-tape media list
proxmox-tape backup-job list
?

can you post the output of
Code:
proxmox-tape pool list
proxmox-tape media list
proxmox-tape backup-job list
?

Hi Dominik

Thank you for your reply.

Really hope I am pasting in the correct formatting.

Bash:
root@lmc-pbs-01:~# proxmox-tape pool list
┌─────────────┬────────────┬───────────┬──────────┬─────────┐
│ name        │ allocation │ retention │ template │ encrypt │
╞═════════════╪════════════╪═══════════╪══════════╪═════════╡
│ LMC-POOL-01 │ continue   │ 6 months  │          │ no      │
└─────────────┴────────────┴───────────┴──────────┴─────────┘
root@lmc-pbs-01:~# proxmox-tape media list
┌────────────┬────────────────┬──────────────────────────┬────────┬──────────┬──
│ label-text │ pool           │ media-set-name           │ seq-nr │ status   │ l
╞════════════╪════════════════╪══════════════════════════╪════════╪══════════╪══
│ DAY-       │ LMC-MEDPOOL-01 │ Thu Sep  9 15:01:16 2021 │      0 │ unknown  │ o
├────────────┼────────────────┼──────────────────────────┼────────┼──────────┼──
│ DAY-8      │ LMC-MEDPOOL-01 │ Thu Sep  9 15:01:16 2021 │      0 │ unknown  │ o
├────────────┼────────────────┼──────────────────────────┼────────┼──────────┼──
│ TEST       │ LMC-MEDPOOL-01 │ Mon Sep  6 20:49:26 2021 │      0 │ unknown  │ o
│ DAY-16     │ LMC-POOL-01    │ Thu Sep 16 20:47:30 2021 │      0 │ full     │ o
│ DAY-20     │ LMC-POOL-01    │ Thu Sep 16 20:47:30 2021 │      1 │ full     │ o
│ DAY-5      │ LMC-POOL-01    │ Thu Sep 16 20:47:30 2021 │      2 │ full     │ o
│ DAY-6      │ LMC-POOL-01    │ Thu Sep 16 20:47:30 2021 │      3 │ writable │ o
└────────────┴────────────────┴──────────────────────────┴────────┴──────────┴──
root@lmc-pbs-01:~# proxmox-tape backup-job list
┌───────┬────────────┬─────────────┬────────────┬──────────┬────────────────────
│ id    │ store      │ pool        │ drive      │ schedule │                 nex
╞═══════╪════════════╪═════════════╪════════════╪══════════╪════════════════════
│ DAY20 │ LMC-PBS-01 │ LMC-POOL-01 │ LMC-TAP-01 │ daily    │ Fri Apr  8 00:00:00
└───────┴────────────┴─────────────┴────────────┴──────────┴────────────────────
root@lmc-pbs-01:~#

yes you have a single media pool with the allocation pool 'continue' so it continues the media-set forever
as long as there is space on the tapes, it will want the last one that is writiable (currently 'DAY-6' in your case)
maybe check out the docs about allocation and retention policies: https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/tape-backup.html#

also check out our examples (currently only in git): https://git.proxmox.com/?p=proxmox-...39ecedcb2038770ef76;hb=refs/heads/master#l983
Greatly appreciated Dominik.

I think I have come to grips on how to create the sets for my scenario and I am busy running my first "automated" backup at the moment.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!