joining cluster messed up my local-zfs storage.cfg entry

ProjectPatatoe

Jul 15, 2023
I built a cluster where they were both using ext4 as rootfs. oops i actually want zfs. So i rebuilt one machine and got it removed from the cluster etc etc. I will eventually rebuild my other machine into zfs root.

On my newly rebuilt system, it was local-zfs. Once i joined it to the cluster, it changed to local-lvm. It seems the nodes line seems to be missing. I'm thinking it should be as simple as adding the nodes line to lvmthin: local-lvm right? Does anything have a sample of what the root zfs should have been? I didn't copy paste that down since... well this shouldn't have happened. Is this a bug?

/etc/pve/storage.cfg
Code:
dir: local
        path /var/lib/vz
        content iso,vztmpl,backup

lvmthin: local-lvm
        thinpool data
        vgname pve
        content rootdir,images

lol I realized that I have one node fully working so I just installed pve in a vm and got the config from it. Yes adding nodes to lvmthin and the zfspool fixes it. I still wanted to leave this post here as it seems like a bug. Or maybe someone will see that there is a potential issue with this further down the line?

/etc/pve/storage.cfg
Code:
dir: local
        path /var/lib/vz
        content iso,vztmpl,backup

lvmthin: local-lvm
        thinpool data
        vgname pve
        nodes pc1
        content rootdir,images

zfspool: local-zfs
        pool rpool/data
        sparse
        nodes pc2
        content images,rootdir

Not a bug and there is a note about it in the documentation:
All existing configuration in /etc/pve is overwritten when joining a cluster. In particular, a joining node cannot hold any guests, since guest IDs could otherwise conflict, and the node will inherit the cluster’s storage configuration. To join a node with existing guest, as a workaround, you can create a backup of each guest (using vzdump) and restore it under a different ID after joining. If the node’s storage layout differs, you will need to re-add the node’s storages, and adapt each storage’s node restriction to reflect on which nodes the storage is actually available.
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Cluster_Manager#pvecm_join_node_to_cluster

Default storage configuration (/etc/pve/storage.cfg) for local, local-lvm and local-zfs:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage#_storage_configuration

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!