jitterentropy-rngd taking up to 100% cpu resources; turnkey-oscommerce

THZzB

Jan 25, 2021
I have installed turnkey-oscommerce and after clear install I have jitterentropy-rngd process taking 100% cpu (top command). After I kill whole guest goes to 0.3% of cpu utilisation right after install.

What is the point of this process? Do I need it?

Did some searching and it seems to be a service to provide more entropy to the kernel in order to provide enough randomness, for example in /dev/random. How good or bad that is... no idea.

That is quite weird. I download it from offical proxnox templates. Just after guest starts it take 100% of cpu and never end. Is there offical place where I can report this?

Just to clarify, the turnkey container images are not maintained by Proxmox but by the Turnkey Linux project.

Without knowing that image I assume the jitterentropy is running to provide more entropy as the machine might not have enough of it to initialize a few things on the first start that need random data.

That is quite weird. I download it from offical proxnox templates. Just after guest starts it take 100% of cpu and never end. Is there offical place where I can report this?
Hi, I know it's an old thread but did you ever solve the jitterentropy CPU usage issue? I have the same problem in a Wordpress Turnkey container. Thanks

Hi, I know it's an old thread but did you ever solve the jitterentropy CPU usage issue? I have the same problem in a Wordpress Turnkey container. Thanks

Currently, after restarting some LXC this jitterentropy process starts with the CPU spikes. Then I need to access the container and manually kill the process.

Currently, after restarting some LXC this jitterentropy process starts with the CPU spikes. Then I need to access the container and manually kill the process.
I disabled the service and it has been fine since then. See my thread here

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!