[SOLVED] It seems like my IP address is blocked by proxmox servers ?

parazitenew

Dec 27, 2023
Hello,

When I use apt update I see:

Code:
W: Failed to fetch http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve/dists/bookworm/InRelease  Cannot initiate the connection to download.proxmox.com:80 (2607:5300:203:7dc2::162). - connect (101: Network is unreachable) Could not connect to download.proxmox.com:80 (170.130.165.9
0), connection timed out

I have changed nothing in my server.

I copied the link and pasted it on my web browser, that did not work, but when I enabled my VPN, a file named InRelease started downloading.

In fact I noticed that few hours ago when I tried to download the new ISO file from proxmox website, the download stopped at 99,78%, and was not able to download it again because the connection fails. Until I enabled my VPN, I could start the download again and finish it.

So actually, without a VPN I can't establish access to proxmox servers. Everything was working fine until I tried to download the new ISO file.

Just in case this could help, I'm in Canada, and my VPN is in Germany.

Edit: it's working again, after 4 hours. I don't know what happened.

Last edited:
Just in case this could help, I'm in Canada, and my VPN is in Germany.

that can mean that you hit a totally different server, since we have a distributed fleet of machines handling those requests.

two possibilities:
- there was some transient issue between your ISP and our server responsible for serving Canadian IPs (and switching IP meant changing the route and/or the target server, avoiding the issue)
- you tripped up our rate limiter (although IIRC, that should not block connections outright, just reduce the bandwidth for misbehaving clients)

that can mean that you hit a totally different server, since we have a distributed fleet of machines handling those requests.

two possibilities:
- there was some transient issue between your ISP and our server responsible for serving Canadian IPs (and switching IP meant changing the route and/or the target server, avoiding the issue)
- you tripped up our rate limiter (although IIRC, that should not block connections outright, just reduce the bandwidth for misbehaving clients)
Thanks for the reply. It should be the first option since the last download I made was in December 2023.
I didn't know that you had many servers around. Thanks.

Reactions: fabian

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!