Issues with Proxmox and PFsense nic configuration

Ohiostate89

Nov 5, 2020
I have read just about every discussion about setting up Pfsense in proxmox. I have installed pfsense in my server which has three network cards and wireless. I am trying to set up the network so that I have internet going pass thru going into a router that provides the DHCP and then going into the server with proxmox and then out on a second network card to a switch that has the rest of the network-attached. What is happening is when I configure pfsense with vmbr0 Linux bridge the WAN and vmbr1 Linux bridge the LAN. The vmbr0 Linux bridge is the default internet connection going to the router. the vmbr1 I have going into the switch. So I am not able to get DHCP addresses on the other side of the switch or am I able to get out to the web. Please help I have been working on this thing for weeks and I no closer to getting the problem solved.

1604783517919.png

So I am not able to get DHCP addresses on the other side of the switch
What exactly do you mean by that?
What is your DHCP server?
To me it sounds you are expecting the router to hand out DHCP-addresses to your network?!
That doesnt work.
Your router provides an IP to your PFsense. Lets say 192.168.0.2
PFsense can provide DHCP addresse to your internal network, but that needs to be a different IP-segment - lets say 192.168.100.0/24

PFsense works just fine on Proxmox. I am using this setup since literally years. My setup is a little different, as I use VLAN tags to segregate the traffic, but that shouldnt make any difference

Thanks for the reply. So you are partially correct the router is giving the pfsense the IP address but the other nic that I have assigned to the pfsense is not providing any network connectivity to the other half of the equation. so it looks like this.

Comcast in pass through------>router DHCP-----------> proxmox server/ VM pfsense/ second nic out to ----------X-------switch------other pc's

So there is no ability for the other PC's to get to the web as pfsense and proxmox are not delivering any dhcp addressing or pass through.

That sounds weird to me.

What subnets/IP addresses do you use?
Has pfsense an enabled DHCP service on the internal network? It should by default, but might not be the case.

Also have you tried logging into pfsense from the proxmox console and ping the external addresses (any webpage) as well as internal systems?

Try assigning static IPs and see if that helps for your issue.

Common issue is wrong cableing as well. Have you vkecked you are using the correct ports?

I had an issue once where pfsense did not receive an IP address on one interface, but that was related to the hardware I was using. Getting in a different nic solved the problem.

Hope these are ideas that might help in your troubleshooting process.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!