Issues with Migrating Ubuntu 20.xx

michaels2408

Oct 14, 2020
Good morning. I am fairly new to Virtualization and Proxmox 6.x. Have about a year or so under my belt and have had a good experience. So. I am a tinkerer. I had two nodes and a proxmox backup server running across a 1G network with 20 or so various types of virtual machines. My primary node is an AMD 3950x 16 core on a Asus Crosshair Hero VII x470 board and 64g of ram, running ZFS raidz3 on top of 10 disks on a fujitsu SAS in HBA mode. The other node is a Xeon based system socket 2011 with 8 cores and 16g of ram. Very small and does not utilize any ZFS raid structures. So My tinkering began... I purchased a couple old used dl360p G8 servers, 10g network cards, 10g brocade switch. Each server is running e5-2650 8core x2 for a total of 16 cores and 32 threads, as well as 128g EEC RDIMMs for memory hungry ZFS. My final plan is a 3 node cluster running CEPH across a 10g local backbone. I plan on one machine having a HBA card with external sas to connect a disk array for my NAS/PBS server.
Here is my issue. When I try to migrate Ubuntu 20.x with Gnome desktop from the AMD based server to a Intel based server, the GUI crashes, but linux itself runs just fine. The only thing I have done that made the migrated machine work was a complete uninstall of the gnome desktop and X system, then reinstall. What I find interesting, is that I can change the primary VM's cpu type from Host to KVM64 and it fails on the AMD box in the same manor. But if I change it to Sandy bridge it will boot and work fine. Now one would think if the VM is running on the AMD server as an emulated Sandy bridge without any issues, you could essentially move this VM to a bare metal system with Sandybridge architecture and it would work? Right? Nope... Even leaving the VM as a Sandy bridge emulation on the new server causes the GUI to crash.
Another thought. In the past I have taken a Ubuntu install on a AMD bare-metal and moved it to an Intel bare metal with no issues. So, what settings need to be adjusted for seamless migration across two different hardware platforms?

I think you're colliding with the different chipsets in the graphical heads on the two hosts. X11/wayland/whatever are tightly bound to the hardware detected when X11 was originally installed. Check the Display and Hardware settings on the Vm and verify they're presenting the same chipsets to X11 on the VM as it did on the physical host.

So that was my first thought. However, this install was done as a VM and the only options for display ever used was the Spice Driver, which should seamlessly move from one VM to another. x11.conf shows Intel driver on bother systems.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!