Issues with Marvell 88SE9215 Sata Controller (COMRESET)

nuvious

Nov 28, 2020
I recently installed NVME cards on my nodes and 2 of them have the unfortunate feature of disabling 2 SATA ports when an NVME is present. Each node has 3-4 HDD's, 1 SSD, 1 SSD for boot and the NVME drive. The boards only have 6 ports and two of them are disabled with the NVME. I ordered 2 of these SATA cards for expansion (I don't do anything with raid with them) and moved my HDD's and SSD's to the add-in card.

lspci shows this entry which is a mismatch of the chip reported in the marketing of Marvell 88SE9215, but that may just be a typo in the marketing material:

06:00.0 SATA controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE9230 PCIe SATA 6Gb/s Controller (rev 11)

I get the following error when I plug drives into this computer during boot...

ataX: COMRESET failed (error=-16)

...for every drive in the system. Then when it boots it only recognizes drives plugged into the onboard sata ports. Cause a bit of a havoc the first boot because CEPH lost basically an entire node's worth of drives.

I'd like to figure this out because I'd like to retain NVME support for my cluster, but unfortunately this kinda has me stumped. Not sure where to go from here so any advice is appreciated!

Reactions: mtyax
Did you ever figure out how to get the drives to register?
I don't have the COMRESET, but the drives are not showing....

THX.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!