Issues with HP P420i and SMART

Not worked in Proxmox 8.0.4 / non-commercial-license. I have migrated from ESXi and this is my first Proxmox installation. I had some issue with SSD (Patriot Burst 480GB - one of the cheapest SSD, 2 years old, SMART says OK) and said to me to try something new when I need to reinstall completely. I will move this new installation to new SSD when it comes so I can let you know, if it works. It can be that I have not yet restarted the server after update.

The script from udotirol is working for me, but the one from lclements0 not :-(.
works here with p420i on 3 x ML350p Gen8 HDDs only : 2 x PVE 7.2 + 1 x PVE 7.4
SSDs are on embedded SATA + 1 system have SSDs on cheap SATA pcie card

If you update to Proxmox 8 you don’t need the script anymore.
only if HBA mode.
Legacy RAID always require wrapper script.

Last edited:
Just to mention my own experience with P420i,

I had been running Ceph with OSDs on Raid0 for a couple of years with no problem.
When building a new cluster I recently I decided to experiment with HBA mode.

I can confirm that with PVE 8 the hpsa driver is used by linux automatically if the controller is in HBA mode.
It does work and performs fine.
BUT
it doesn't handle faulty disks very well at all.

I had a couple of disks with faults and instead of marking them as faulty and refusing to use them
the system simply locks up on retries and/or hangs.
No idea what the issue is, and I don't have the time or expertise to delve into it, although I did see someone else
on a different thread report a similar experience.

Good healthy disks are fine, but I decided I am not going to use this mode in anger, and invested in H220 HBA cards.

Its a shame because being able use this integrated controller would free up a PCI slot for something else, seems also a waste having it on the MB.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!