Issues with Containers and Bridges

S

SectorNine50

I just recently discovered that I am having connectivity issues with both of my containers and network connectivity. I had been battling really slow webserver response times on my virtual machines, and then this reared it's ugly head this morning.

I have a Turnkey LAMP server running in a container, and when I ping it from a VM on the host, I get a large delay (700+ms) for the first ping, then <1ms from there on out. However, if I attempt to ping the machine from outside the host, I get no responses. Restarting the networking within the container seemed to help for a moment, but then after a few pings, it stopped responding again.

Any ideas what this might be?

I have had a similar issue, but its not that bad, I just get a fair bit of ping loss and time out's accessing the web administration. Also this message comes up a lot.
[h=3]eth0: received packet with own address as source[/h]
From looking around the net, it seems like it might be a faulty switch in my case.

What's interesting, and puzzles me a bit, is that the KVM's seem to do just fine. Every once-in-a-while I'll get a longer ping (5ms or so), but it's generally much better.

For the time being, I'm moving the web server to a KVM while I keep fiddling with the containers.

I've noticed a general trend of poor performance in containers. Queries that would take 11 seconds in the VM container are only taking 2 seconds as a KVM. I'm assuming this has something to do with OpenVZ and is kind of out of Proxmox's hands... But if anyone has any insight, I'd appreciate it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!