[SOLVED] Issue with adding vm to zpool

MJFlanigan

Sep 7, 2021
I created a zfs pool with plenty of space but can't add vms. It says there is not enough space.

Whats your output of zpool status and zfs list?

I would guess you are using raidz, didn't changed the volblocksize so you got alot of padding overhead and you try to create a big zvol that is bigger than your pool because of the padding overhead.

It's 6 4tb drives and I cleared the disk and deleted the pool. How should the pool be set up?

6x HDDs I guess? In that case I would use a striped mirror because this should be 3 times faster running VMs compared to a raidz1/2. Because if using HDDs as a VM storage your pools IOPS can easily be bottlenecking the whole server. Volblocksize should be 12K but only 8K or 16K are possible, so I would use a 16K volblocksize (you can set that under Datacenter -> Storage -> YourZFSPool -> Edit -> Blocksize).
Storage you would get:
24 TB raw storage (6x 4TB)
- 12 TB parity
9,6 TB or 8,73 TiB or usable storage.

Last edited:
It still won't let me actually create a 9TB vm which sucks. I made those changes and still get the issue.

Also, what type of storage controller you try to emulate? SATA, SCSI, IDE? IDE is the slowest and if I remember right IDE was limited to 2TB of disk size. So you should try to use virtio SCSI if not already the case.

Yes, "virtio SCSI single" with "SCSI" should always be the best choice because it supports discard, hotplug and is paravirtualized, so you get the best performance. But for Win VMs you need to get the virtio drivers while installing Win or it won't recognise the virtual disks.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!