Issue with 4.2

RVONLINE

Aug 16, 2014
Hi I have recently installed 4.2 on my server. The problem with 4.2 installation, is I am only able to see 96 GB off my 4 TB hardisk. I see 3.6 TB space under local-lvm thin. I have deleted this (local-lvm) but the space is not reclaimed. I currently see only 96G under local. Could you please help on how to reclaim space to local.

Thanks,

RV

Last edited:
4.2 changed the default to thin-provisioning and that's the new way. You want to setup the old behaviour and have to change it manually.

You have to delete thin-provisioning (really, not via GUI) and you have to resize your LVM-volume für your vz-data and resize your filesystem. Are you familiar with the command line and LVM tools?

Please post the output of lvm and vgs.

Thanks Bil.

As suggested please find the output below; I am new to linux and would really appreciate if you provide me how to delete the lvm-thin and resize the filesystem.

Before moving to 4.2, I was using 3.4 and I have couple of vm's backup from 3.4 version and I want these to be copied to 4.2. Unfortunately, I am not able to do so because, I cannot fit these vms' on to 96 GB freespace allocated to local. If I were to copy these vm's to local-thin what would be the path that I should go down and host the vm's

Could you please advise.

lvm> lvs
LV VG Attr LSize Pool Origin Data% Meta% Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
data pve twi-aotz-- 3.52t 0.00 0.42
root pve -wi-ao---- 96.00g
swap pve -wi-ao---- 8.00g
vm-100-disk-1 pve Vwi-a-tz-- 75.00g data 0.00
vm-101-disk-1 pve Vwi-a-tz-- 75.00g data 0.00
lvm>
lvm> pvs
PV VG Fmt Attr PSize PFree
/dev/sda3 pve lvm2 a-- 3.64t 15.77g
lvm>
lvm>
lvm> vgs
VG #PV #LV #SN Attr VSize VFree
pve 1 5 0 wz--n- 3.64t 15.77g

Easiest way to "migrate" would be backup and restore. I you do not work locally on the mounted filesystem, then use the new default way of thin provisioned storage. Backup and restore is then the way to go.

The output you provided shows two VMs 100 and 101 with 75 GB each. Are these newly created ones or already migrated ones?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!