[SOLVED] Issue starting VM with default processor Type

Astraea

Renowned Member
Aug 25, 2018
I have 7 nodes in my cluster and 6 of them are running older Intel CPUs, with each node having 2 sockets. The problem is the 1 node that I have that is running an AMD CPU. This node will not start a VM unless the processor type is set to max or to host. These of course can cause issues if the VM migrates as part of HA. I was able to a VM to start using kvm32 but I know the node has 64bit CPUs, they are listed on the Proxmox WebUI as Quad-Core AMD Opteron Processor 2356. I have the latest packages and I have hardware virtualization turned on in the BIOS. I also noticed that if I turn off hardware virtualization in the VM settings it will boot with the default processor type.

what is the error if you try to start with kvm64 ? it should say something in the start task log

kvm: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX.nx [bit 20]
kvm: Host doesn't support requested features

Just updated to the latest version of Proxmox VE and still getting this error:

Code:
kvm: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX.nx [bit 20]
kvm: Host doesn't support requested features
TASK ERROR: start failed: QEMU exited with code 1

Here is the VM configuration, it is a very basic VM with just enough to see if it will start on the node:

Code:
boot: 
cores: 1
memory: 2048
meta: creation-qemu=6.1.0,ctime=1643169486
name: TEST
numa: 0
ostype: l26
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=60a2a626-9c2c-484a-b01e-6d897345bd62
sockets: 1
vmgenid: bba6fcef-6bae-43b0-9253-b9e4a7cc0598

You were correct somehow that flag got switched to disabled and once it rebooted with it enabled the test VM fired up no problem.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!