Issue about the usb network adapter

hooao

Nov 6, 2019
I got an USB network adapter with RTL8152 chip inside. But pve cannot auto detected it as a network device. I used `lshw -C network` to see if there is a new network device. After two day's work, I found something strange and need you help:
1, Trying to update the r8152 driver to the latest version, not work.
2, Pluging the device to another ubuntu18.04 host, it works. And I found the r8152 driver in ubuntu is not the latest version. The driver version is the same version with the original one in pve. So the device driver in pve should not be the issue.
3, I tried to install a ubuntu18.04 in pve and add this usb device to the new ubuntu vm. Things became interesting because after I started the ubuntu vm, I can get the usb device in "pve host"(Using lshw). But after pve host reboot, this usb device disappear again. Then I remove the device in ubuntu vm, and check in pve host, the device appear.

So it seems that I need to operate the USB network adapter in the vm(add or del the device) to "trigger something" to enable the device. Do you have any idea?

Hi,

is the USB network adapter shown whit "lsusb" after a reboot?
And check dmesg for errors.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!