ISP blocks port 25, is there a way for pmg to send/receive from/to external mail servers?

paul.o

Sep 23, 2022
My ISP blocks port 25 for spamming issue and since pmg is defaulted to use port 25 to send and receive mail to and from external mail servers therefore my send/receive is not working. Is there a way to get around it aside from requesting my ISP to unblock port 25, maybe setting up other smtp ports? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My ISP blocks port 25 for spamming issue and since pmg is defaulted to use port 25 to send and receive mail to and from external mail servers therefore my send/receive is not working. Is there a way to get around it aside from requesting my ISP to unblock port 25, maybe setting up other smtp ports? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Not really - SMTP in the internet works over port 25 (in the same way that http works over port 80 and https over 443) - unless you convince all your partners, who want to send mail to you to use a different port it will not work over this line.

Some people get a VPS/VM/Server in a datacenter from a hoster and use that for relaying their mail (you can still keep PMG and your mail-server at your place and use wireguard/some other VPN to send the mails through there)

I hope this helps!

I had the same problem with my previous provider and solved it by

1) relaying outgoing mail through the ISPs mail servers and
2) using an e-mail store/forward service for incoming mail. I used Dynu, but there are others too, like No-IP, but those are bit more expensive.

Thanks everyone for sharing your ideas. I used outbound smtp-relay provider - all my outbound mails are forwarded to them via smtp port 587.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!