ISO Upload Hangs pveproxy.service (>2GB)

Just wanted to update and say that I was able to resolve my own issue, by turning-off all power saving features, as well as c-states in BIOS - hasn't happened since
I just tried this but still have freezing in the web GUI when attempting to upload most ISOs over 1.0GB in size. However the PVE node itself doesn't go down and is just fine after it times out. Using SSH + SCP via terminal only nets me a slight improvement unfortunately. While the uploads there will run to completion you can still see the obvious hangs/freezes/etc. On the web GUI they show as IOdelay spikes up to 20%. This is a brand new clean install of v8.1, fully updated with NOTHING on it and 2 250GB <consumer> SSDs in RAID1 mirror on the same hardware that I swear never had this problem back on v6.

Can anyone help me get to the bottom of this?

I've had greater success solving this on 7 and 8 by connecting directly to the IP in chrome rather than using the hostname or DNS for the machine.

this is also happening to me and apparently its pebkac since we havent heard back from anyone from the proxnmox team.

oops.. it moved up by 1% in 10 minutes.. my bad.. must be fine... oh. never mind, it isn't fine.

1706316868637.png

Last edited:
Reactions: maleko48
I've had greater success solving this on 7 and 8 by connecting directly to the IP in chrome rather than using the hostname or DNS for the machine.
I am still troubleshooting my setup since it consistently fails for larger files transfers over web GUI. I flashed back to v6 and v7 to get some comparisons and you can tell the v8 ProxMox host struggles when watching SCP file transfers over the command line versus v6/v7 SCP transfers. That led me down a ZFS / disk throughput / poor disk performance rabbit hole I started testing but then had a bunch of stuff come up at home the past couple of weeks... it's a slow process for me since I am lucky if I get to spend any time on such matters, generally only during my limited weekends.

I noticed this error myself today really strange any fix ? Iso is 3.8GB

Aug 24 17:14:07 pve pveproxy[1581252]: problem with client ::ffff:192.168.1.50; Connection timed out
Aug 24 17:15:03 pve pveproxy[1557352]: problem with client ::ffff:192.168.1.50; Connection timed out

Error '0' occurred while receiving the document

Linux pve 6.8.12-1-pve #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC PMX 6.8.12-1 (2024-08-05T16:17Z) x86_64
Baremetal / SSD with ZFS

Last edited:
I noticed this error myself today really strange any fix ? Iso is 3.8GB

Aug 24 17:14:07 pve pveproxy[1581252]: problem with client ::ffff:192.168.1.50; Connection timed out
Aug 24 17:15:03 pve pveproxy[1557352]: problem with client ::ffff:192.168.1.50; Connection timed out

Error '0' occurred while receiving the document

Linux pve 6.8.12-1-pve #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC PMX 6.8.12-1 (2024-08-05T16:17Z) x86_64
Baremetal / SSD with ZFS
I finally turned on my ProxMox box again today for the first time in ( 8 ) months and did a clean install of ProxMox 8.2 on ZFS RAID 1 mirrored root (across 2 consumer 250GB SSDs) install with full updates, log2ram, noatime, no HA / cluster services, etc. and my first attempt at uploading a 7GB ISO worked as expected right from the web console.

The performance isn't stellar (as expected), but seems more well-rounded and smoother after some time to smooth over the rough edges.

I'm just going with it until performance becomes an issue for my use-cases for this box.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!