iscsi storage - How to access logical volume and raw files

alain

Renowned Member
May 17, 2009
France/Paris
Hi all,

This is Proxmox ve 1.5 and Kernel 2.6.32.

As already said in another post, I am testing iscsi storage, following the wiki 'Use iSCSI LUN for LVM base'

I already set up two VMs on this storage. So, I have for example a logical volume that appeared with these informations :
# lvdisplay
--- Logical volume ---
LV Name /dev/pve-iscsi/vm-108-disk-1
VG Name pve-iscsi
LV UUID cyUDwo-I3q8-Cxsk-cRad-p3hL-jNZv-ulCU1G
LV Write Access read/write
LV Status available
# open 1
LV Size 20,00 GB
Current LE 5120
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors auto
- currently set to 256
Block device 252:3

I would like in a near future to migrate machines on this storage. I'll need to replace the raw files inside these logical volumes by new ones.

But I don't see clearly how to access these logical volumes to replace the VM raw files.

Can someone gives me some hints on how to do this ?

Thanks in advance

Alain

I try to give you an explanation ...
In this structure each LV is a disk of a VM, so if you want to copy a disk in raw form into a LV,
of course you must first create such lv
lvcreate -n "VMID"-L "sizeinGigaByte"G pve-iscsi
then you can copy from raw file to LV
dd if="pathrawfile" of =/dev/pve-iscsi/"VMID" bs=1M
I think is the best and fastest

Last edited:
ion-ral,

Thanks for your answer. I understand now that I was completly at lost. There is no 'raw' files inside logical volume, but this one is in some way the raw file. There is something that I find very useful, mount a raw file as loop device, that I tried also with the logical volume :
# mount -o loop,offset=32256 /dev/pve-iscsi/vm-108-disk-1 /mnt

An indeed I was able to access the boot partition, /boot. The rest of the machine use also LVM (it is CentOS)...

Very interesting. Thanks.

Alain

You can also use kpartx to create a logical device corresponding logical volume (as well as a raw file)

kpartx -av /dev/pve-iscsi/vm-108-disk-1
Then you can mount any partition without using the offset

mount /dev/mapper/pve--scsi-vm--108--disk--1X /mnt
when you have umount the filesystem eliminate the mapper device with this command:

kpartx -ad /dev/pve-iscsi/vm-108-disk-1

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!