iscsi SAN with LACP

parityman

May 28, 2012
Hi all,

i'm planing a new infrastructure with Open-e as SAN Backend and PVE als virtualization hosts. 1GB Ethernet is to slow, so instead of using 10GbE i ask myself if Link Aggregation (with 4 Ports for example) would increase the throughput to my SAN. Wikipedia says, LACP balances load by mac-addresses -> connections initiated with the same mac use only one NIC. If i create 10 VMs on my PVE-Node, and every Node has a iscsi disk, all iscsi commands will send by my PVE-Node, right? So, all 10 Nodes uses only one NIC to communicate with the SAN? That would be a huge Problem. Any Hints for me?

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, you have to use mpio for your iscsi. however keep in mind there's a threshold after which the infrastructure becomes too complex, costly, unmanageable or unreliable in terms of cabling, or finally the performance delivered doesn't cope with the demand anymore.
so, if you plan something new, go 10G.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!