iSCSI read only?

Nhoague

Renowned Member
Sep 29, 2012
Colorado, USA
So, PVE 3.4 iscsi = zero problems!

I installed a new PVE 4.4, and setup iscsi the way I always do, but now when I try to setup a new VM, I get read only file systems, and basically can't write to iscsi.

Anyone else experience this? Ideas?

Thanks!

Which error message are you seeing in the VM ? If is somehting along "cannot write block xxx, putting root fs readonly" then most probably your iscsi session has been interrupted.

When you see the error again, check the status of the iscsi storage
with
pvesm status

and

iscsiadm -m session -P 1
specially the fields iSCSI Connection State and iSCSI Session State

Thanks for your reply! Here is a screenshot of what is happening during install of a Linux image. I tested this with PVE 3.4 to work just fine. I am going to test next with a fresh 3.4 install and doing a live upgrade into 4.4. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 2.36.56 PM (2).png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 2.36.56 PM (2).png
    247.3 KB · Views: 9
OK well ... in further news, I setup a iSCSI on a different storage box, a QNAP, and it worked just fine. We use a Nimble storage box as our production iSCSI SAN and that works with 3.4 but not with 4.4. The only difference is the Nimble does multipath by default, so I'm now wondering if I'm missing something in the iSCSI configuration in 4.4? Something that was there in 3.4 but not anymore. Ring any bells?

Thanks!

Install the following packages: lssci

And then try the following commands:

lsscsi --transport -id # this should display a list of local disks and iscsi luns

then

cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg

to show your storage config

and
pvesm status

multipath -ll

Also tries to compare the ouput of these commands with your 3.4 node.

Thanks for your help. I'm still baffled. The results from a 3.4 node look the exact same as on 4.4!

I did attempt to setup the iSCSI using only one of the IPs on the Nimble and had the same result. This is driving my crazy!

What is the output on

multipath -ll

and do you have any errors listed when you run

journalctl -xe

?

Well, after discussing with our storage vendor, Nimble, we realized there was a upgrade to fix one of the commands for iscsi write!

My bad, but thank you to everyone who helped!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!